Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

upgrade from DMK 21 firewire camera?

Astronutjob

hello i currently have a DMK21AF firewire camera which i use for planetary and lunar/solar imaging, thing is my laptop is getting old and tyred and i have been having to use a plug in bus card to use the camera, i would prefer to use a USB camera and get a better laptop, are the DMK31 and DMK41 cameras considered a good upgrade? or what other options are there? i see the DMK41 are only 10 FPS though?

The 31 and 41 mostly just give you a larger field of view with a slower frame rate.  There's not much of an advantage there for planetary imaging really.  You're better off with the smaller faster camera.

The ASI120, USB DMK21 and the new Celestron version of the DMK21 (Skyris 618?) are obvious options.  The Flea3 is perhaps still worth looking at.  I know there are some other less well-known choices, but they're not as widely-supported either.

James

Archived