Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetary Spectra?

NickK

I'm out of my league on this but I'm assuming that a spectrograph could also be used on planets (ie analysing the red spot for example)?

Trying to figure if I should plumb for a daystar filter+erf or a spectrograph (such as an Alphy+guider) to spice up the options i have.

Curiosity at this stage.

The spectra of the moon and planets is basically reflected sunlight with additional absorption bands caused by the atmosphere.

You'll easily pick up the Methane etc features...

Positioning a narrow slit across the GRS I think would not show much spectral detail - unless the concentration of gases is much higher than the surrounding surface.

Why an ALPY? There are many other options, starting with a Star Analyser grating....

I took some of Uranus and Neptune a while back Nick, showed the Methane and Ammonia peaks well, looked interesting when you subtract a G2V (similar to the sun) spectrum from it.

I too am debating an Alpy+guider or L200 ??? decisions, decisions.

Steve

The alphy was basically nice idea as it's all together .. however I'm very tempted, reading up though.. I'm eyeing up the A80Mf as a DIY..

Whats the idea there Nick is it to use the parts to make a spectroscope?? Would be interested myself to see that or any info on it!

Steve

Archived