Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can you use a Daystar filter minus ERF for DSO?

NickK

This has probably been mooted around before but the Daystar package requires an ERF for solar, however for non solar (ie DSO) could you use the f/30 for bright DSOs or planets?

It's probably unlikely that someones' actually tried this but I was wondering...

I doubt it. The bandpass of the Daystar filter is in the order of 0.7 Angstrom or 0.07 nm. The typical bandpass of a DSO H-alpha filter is 100 times larger

Good point.. trying to think if a daystar or a spectrograph would add some addition interesting ideas to the scope :)

You could better use a spectroscope....

It will give far more spectral detail over the whole visible spectrum.

It can then be incorporated into a spectrohelioscope to assemble scanned solar images at ANY wavelength - Ha, Hb, Fe, CaK etc etc etc.

Has the potential to give much higher resolution than a Daystar/ Lunt/ Coronado.

Wooo.. I had a read of a few of the links.. a promising idea.

I think it would be possible to create a fast scanning spectrograph. In one example he's used a nodding mirror attached to a motor - there's faster ways of doing this with less mass. The result will be a faster scan and less deviation across the image.

question is - could I build something that sits on the Pentax and still be able to sit on the EQ6..

Archived