Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Controlling Synscan AZ with Cartes du Ciel

DeepThought

Hi

As the subject says really, has anyone managed to control a Synscan Alt/Az mount using the telescope control function of CDC?

I have trawled the internet but can't find anything except drivers and instructions for equatorial mounts and nothing that mentions the Synscan AZ mount by name.

I presume this is possible... isn't it?

Cheers

The thing is it's not the planetarium program that controls the mount, its the interface / driver that sits between it and the application.  With an EQ mount this is typically EQASCOM (EQMOD), which received the co-ordinates from the application and then issues the goto commands to the mount via a suitable interface cable.

However you might be able to connect the PC to the scope via the handset and a serial cable.  I'm not sure how you set CDC up, but presume you set the telescope settings to LX200 mode and in the telescope connection option select the correct port you are using.  This should in theory send the basic coordinates instructions to the handset which will then convert them to the goto commands and position the scope in alt/az.

Let us know how you get on

CDC is all I use on the obsy. If you have a Synscan controller then you can use a connection cable to the controller from the laptop (you'll need a serial port or adaptor). Then you need to install ASCOM and EQMOD and connect it all up.

If you hunt for the EQMOD website, there are good instructions on there. The most difficult thing is finding the com port, but all in all, not too complicated.

CDC is all I use on the obsy. If you have a Synscan controller then you can use a connection cable to the controller from the laptop (you'll need a serial port or adaptor). Then you need to install ASCOM and EQMOD and connect it all up.

If you hunt for the EQMOD website, there are good instructions on there. The most difficult thing is finding the com port, but all in all, not too complicated.

EQMOD is only suited to EQ mounts... won't work with Alt / Az mounts

Archived