Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding software for an Alt/az mount

Concept

Hi All,

There's a lot of guiding software out there, but which will guide a celestron alt/az goto mount?

I believe PHD is EQ only, but could I put it through ASCOM which allows celectron at/az mounts? 

An help would be most appreciated.

Regards Trevor 

Take a look at this thread.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/117667-auto-guiding-an-alt-az-mount/

You can guide an alt-az mount, but to do long exposure imaging you'd need a camera rotator otherwise you get field rotation; the stars start to form curved arcs on the image with the centre of rotation where the guide star is located.  Camera rotators are not somewhere you want to go from what I've heard, expensive and difficult to use, probably only worth it for very large scopes where you are unable to mount them equatorially (either with a GEM or wedge and forks).

Whether you can get your mount accepting guide commands in alt-az mode depends on its firmware/drivers as per the thread I have linked.

• 1 year later...

Archived