NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binoculars for beginners

Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I've recently moved into a new house with a lovely attic room, and have been spending most of my nights gazing up at the night sky. I want to buy a telescope, but I reckon a pair of binoculars would be better suited for a beginner. What specs and makes would you recommend?

Thanks.

I would simply suggest the standard birding binoculars at 8x42.

Could go for 10x50's but really not above that as you start to need a tripod or mono-pod to enable a steady view. Tend to look upon it that the more you spend on a set then the less you have for a scope or the longer you have to wait.

Binoculars compliment a scope, they are not a replacement, they have their own place and do a very good job. Binoculars are great for locating things, M13 is a good example use binoculars to find where it is and an idea of what you will see. To look at it in detail get a scope out with 80x or 100x.

Seems that many times the question or answer is Scope OR Binoculars. I have 4 of one and 3 of the other

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the link out. I was thinking of something smaller at first...

I use 15x 70 Revolutions to find stuff - then target in with the scope once I know where to look.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_15x70_Binocular_Special_Offer-1.html

They are OK without a tripod, so if you can stand still, or lean against something to keep them steady (eg sitting in a chair, back to the wall etc)

A smaller maginification will mean smaller aperture = less light / less viewable detail.

For £60 the 15x 70's are good to use as a spotter / finder for the telescope,

Or as a stand alone bit of kit for lunar observations, finding andromeda, or viewing clusters.

There are some good 10x 50's available as well.

I recently bought a pair of Helios 8x42 bins and not having used bins before to observe was amazed at the view I had recently when I only had a short time to observe.

It was a very transparent night with no moon.

I started by scanning around Cygnus then went over to Cassiopeia and couldn't believe the view I was getting of the star fields. 

Having scanned around for some time I thought well this is good let's see what I can find. First target M31, found very easily using Cas as a pointer and it looked not much worse than with the scope on a poor night. Next up the double cluster in Perseus which again was easily found using Cas as a guide. Then went up to Alcor/Mizar, no problem obviously. 

This was the first time I had seriously used bins and it won't be the last.

From my experience of that night I don't think I would want to hand hold any bins much bigger, perhaps 10x50 would be manageable, would like to have a try.

10x50 are a nice comfortable size, they will show you a lot, 

depending on your site, are your sky's dark or do you have

light pollution, you say you intend to get a scope, so learn the

night sky with the bins first, it is a good way to find your way

around, what make of bins depends entirely on your budget,

there are lot's to choose from, but my personal size would be

10x50s; anything bigger you will need a tripod or mono pod.

Archived