Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope Upgrade - Advise Please?

Hi All,

I currently have a Skywatcher Evostar 90 on EQ3-2 mount and use a Philips webcam for some digital images (very loose sense) and now looking to upgrade.

Its been real great, being able to get to see Saturn, Mars, Moon, Jupiter but want to get a little more detail, better tracking more deep sky.

Want to try and see more galaxies and nebula and wondered what suggestions can be made.

Budget is around £500 plus whatever i can get for the 90.

I am willing to house in semi-perm install in garden, currently i carry the 90 out on its mount when needed which can be a bit of a chore setting up.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Simon

A 200mm newtonian on a HEQ5 is a very very popular choice.

Even I've got it.

It's a very decent aperture, so it will show you plenty, and the mount is more than capable enough to support it. The telescope is great for both planets and deep sky objects. Highly recommended, and within budget :rolleyes:.

Alternatively, if you have no interest to progress down the tricky road of astrophotography (which the above set-up can accommodate) you could go for a big light bucket. This will show you more visually and it's more portable than the above, but will not track objects.

Hope that helps

Andrew

Hi Simon, I have the Celestron package that Philsail1 is talking about. It is great value for money, the mount is really easy to set up and align, tracking is spor on also and the optics a also very good, you can see it here :-

http://www.celestron.uk.com/catalogues/view_item.asp?ItemID=30877&CatalogueID=272&CategoryID=3812

It is not as heavy amount as the HEQ5 and therefor not as stable, but it has goto.

I'd recommend it to anyone............

Gary

I'll second Andrew's suggestion for the Explorer 200p on a HEQ5. For imaging start with the best mount your budget will allow and the HEQ5 is unbeatable at its price for stability and accuracy. The 8" Newtonian produces wonderful views of showcase deep-sky objects and, under a dark sky, has enougth aperture for some of the fainter galaxies and nebulae. At f5 it also appeals to imagers.

HTH

<edit> You might want to keep your Evostar 90 as it'll make a fine guidescope for imaging.

Archived