Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Helios Naturesport v. Nikon Action

Roger Fairhurst

I very recently bought a pair of Helios Naturesport 10x50 bins from Microglobe.

First impressions were not bad but there was no “Wow” effect. I’m still not convinced that they are quite what I want.

Talking to Microglobe they expressed surprise that I wasn’t happy but there were two issues which I was concerned about.

The bins are not waterproof/nitrogen filled. As I understand it a nitrogen filled (waterproof) instrument is far less prone to fogging in cold conditions than the Helios and they would be primarilly used for stargazing.

I wasn’t
totally
convinced of the optical quality.

The Helios cost GBP 79 and the upgrade I am considering is the Nikon Action EX Extreme 12x50 at GBP 124.

So my question is, am I likely to be better off with the Nikon both from an optical quality point of view and from the nitrogen filled aspect or am I may be better off sticking with the Helios at GBP 45 less (plus 2x shipping costs)?

I am aware that binocular choice can be very personal and has much to do with how they “feel” and how they appear to the owner subjectively. I tried a Nikon Active CF VII 10x50 and felt at home with them in my hand but wasn’t totally convinced – I think they were also not WP.

Based purely on technical differences would the Nikon actually be the better bet?

I have the possibility to return the Helios and replace with the Nikon although I must obviously fork out the difference. If I'm going to go that route then I have to act soon. The extra 25 Squids is not the issue since I chose the Helios in the first place through recommendations on this site + The Sky At Night Best Buy tag.

Kind regards

Roger

If the Nikon is basically technically better then I would not have any problem paying the extra but one question still remains -

does a nitrogen-filled (waterproof) instrument (such as the Nikon Extreme) avoid fogging in cold environments or is it just "better" than the Helios under such conditions? The extra GBP45 needs to be justified and the fogging issue is for me pretty important.

Kind regards

Roger

Yup, I have made a dew shield for my big binos from SWMBO's old "el-cheapo" yoga mat (I bought her a decent new one) -- single piece that wraps around both tubes. Only fogging problems I've had since have been due to people accidentally breathing on the eyepieces.

post-358-0-91786200-1378973597_thumb.png

Details of the dew shield for the reflex finder are here.

Archived