Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 counterweight problem

Demonperformer

When using the smaller of my scopes, even using just one of the EQ6 counterweights, pushed right up against the mount head, is still too much to balance the setup properly.

An easy (if not particularly cheap) option would be to purchase a set of EQ5 counterweights (3.4kg+1.8kg £30 FLO) and use one of those, if they would fit.

• Can anyone confirm if the shaft size of the EQ5 and EQ6 is the same?
  • Alternatively, if they are different can anyone confirm their respective diameters (If the EQ6 shaft is bigger, I could presumably get the hole suitably enlarged)?
  • Or has anyone else come up with an elegant solution to this problem (other than making my own, which is beyond my scope atm)?

Seeing the number of people who use small refractors on an EQ6, judging by equipment in signatures, I'm sure I can't be the first person to have this problem.

Thanks.

Would it not be easier to add some weight to the scope end of the dec axis - you wouldn't need much. Many folk will have a scope/camera/finder etc that will allow the use of the regular EQ6 counterweight. Just a thought - can you not retract the c/w shaft itself thus "moving" some weight up inside the mount?

I use the 2 part EQ5 counterweights happily on my HEQ5 & the EQ6 - useful for those nights with little scopes like my Borg for visual etc. IIRC the EQ5 weights have a slightly larger shaft so fit nicely on either counterweight shaft :)

James

You might balance the scope with just the counterweight bar.

If the scope is so light, then I doubt it will make any difference, just tighten the clutches up and it won't move anywhere. With my ST-80 I just put one counterweight up against the mount, I am sure it is too much but tracks fine.

Robin

Archived