Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problems balancing fast newtonian

Pulling my hair out a bit here! I'm trying to balance my F4 Newt ready for imaging, but it's become a bit of a head scratcher. Here is an image of the set-up:

post-4964-0-87650300-1378474335_thumb.jp

post-4964-0-24156200-1378474341_thumb.jp

The main problem is that although the tube balances perfectly well when in a horizontal position (as shown), as soon as the OTA begins to point upwards, as will be most common whilst in use, the weight of the DSLR causes everything to be massively top heavy.

Also, I'm fairly limited in how much I can move the OTA back and forth, due to the focuser position and the secondary bolts:

post-4964-0-45434600-1378474338_thumb.jp

Does anyone have any good tricks I might try out? I've tried rotating the OTA but to no avail. Dead frustrated as with the current configuration, guiding just isn't happening! Any help appreciated! :)

OK. Seems that although the 'scope was marketed as perfect for AP, the manufacturers (TS Optics) simply didn't take balance into account and concentrated all of the weight on one side of the OTA. However, I've moved the finder around the tube so it now sits opposite the focuser draw-tube and added some weights. The rig now balances beautifully! I did give both your methods a go and, whilst I imagine they'd work with any sensibly manufactured 'scope, I have no such device! Many thanks anyway chaps. Just glad to have it sorted :)

Archived