Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UV lens filter for widefield?

Stargazer33

This is just a quick question.

Having recently bought a DSLR for astrophotography I remembered my old Canon lenses in the back of the wardrobe. I have been using the 28-70mm (44.8-112mm with the x1.6 sensor size) for widefield images.

My question is: the other night I was cleaning the UV filter that I have always left on the lens to protect the front optics and got to thinking, will the UV filter help or hinder my widefield or my DSO imaging? In other words, should I remove the UV filter before I use the lenses for astrophotography?

Thanks in advance for any help. :smiley:

Ah! I didn't think about reflections. I was more wondering if it was blocking out a frequency of light that would help my picutres.

I already have the Canon lens hood that goes with this lens (the full circular one not one of the more modern cut-out ones) and always use it when it's required.

Thanks Stuart :smiley:

Archived