NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon Mosaic - 15th December

themos

2770_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Sorry about the upside-down-ness, didn't think to preprocess before the stitching. The watermark shows the software I used, PTGui. I have to say it's superior to Imerge.

There's 44 shots in that one. Here comes the science bit: I used the 12" f/5 Dob, a 25 mm Plossl, the Ultra Deluxe camera support (thanks Andrew!) and the A540 PowerShot Canon. Focus at infinity, ISO 100, 1/40 second exposure at f/8, fixed "Sunlight" colour balance, full zoom.

I am rather pleased with it. So pleased, that I just might buy PTGui...

Yes, there's 44 but I was shooting some "triplets" (taking three at a time, they showed the movement of the moon nicely). I thought that was a good test of PTGui's ability to stretch and squish the images to fit.

I am sorry, I don't know anything yet about the diffs between the Pro version and the regular.

Hello again, I finally was able to stitch 6 images together with free Linux tools (hugin, autopano-sift, enblend).

2826_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The file I uploaded to ukastronomers.com was 4221x6332, sorry you can't see it in all its glory.

Yes, I have Imerge on the XP laptop and I have used it. Perhaps I am no good at using it but it didn't eliminate the seams nicely for me. I only had a handful of frames so perhaps the curvature was too much for Imerge. I expect that having 170 frames means that there's not as much curvature along the overlapping regions.

Archived