NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Turn Left at Orion in a 150P

jonathan

I was just having a bit of a flick through tonight and noticed it states that all of the objects should be visible in a 4" or less telescope, and this made me wonder if anyone in the UK had actually managed to do this using a small scope.

Some objects may be very low on the horizon, some obscured by light pollution, I doubt I can see them all from my location but for the rest this could be my next challenge for the 150P (6" reflector) on CG-4.

I seem to remember trying many of them using my 8SE early days but failing miserably on quite a few, perhaps experience counts even with a Goto.

Thoughts?

I have 150p and i cannot see all objects because of light pollution but i believe i will be able to at a good dark site, i have seen quite a few objects but not the really faint ones i.e Leo trio M51 which i have been told i can easily see with dark skies.

The Leo triplet and M51 are fairly easy with a 150P and reasonable to good skies. Like all these faint fuzzies, once seen, they are easier to see the next time you come to look for them.

Here are a couple of sketches I did with a 150P. M51 from regular suburban back garden and Leo triplet from dark but not super-dark site at Lucksall.

med_gallery_18573_480_1338790357_4624.jpg

med_gallery_18573_480_1338790360_4862.jpg

I use a Rigel QuikFinder rather than the larger Telrad but either would an excellent addition. The Rigel revolutionised my observing. By far the best accessory I ever bought. I use it along side a conventional optical finder (I use a 9x50 RACI type). With these two and a good starmap you can find anything that will be worth looking at.

I was just wondering, as the 150P is quite a bit longer than my 8SE, and is black, so a Telrad probably wouldn't look quite as out of place on it. If only they made one in a snazzy complimentary blue to go with Celestron orange...

If it helps to find those targets I suppose it doesn't really matter. Maybe I should try the Rigel on the 8SE.

The Leo triplet and M51 are fairly easy with a 150P and reasonable to good skies. Like all these faint fuzzies, once seen, they are easier to see the next time you come to look for them.

Here are a couple of sketches I did with a 150P. M51 from regular suburban back garden and Leo triplet from dark but not super-dark site at Lucksall.

med_gallery_18573_480_1338790357_4624.jpg

med_gallery_18573_480_1338790360_4862.jpg

Nice sketches!!

I live in St Helen's quite light polluted even my local Astronomical society said i would lucky see the Trio and M51 if i didn't go to moderately dark skies which im planning on doing just got to find somewhere nearby i can go set up and not be disturbed. Great drawings this is the sought of things i want to do. I have seen M57 and M13 quite clearly i suspect they are brighter.

Does the Telrad look good on the 150P? Help in finding targets much over the supplied finder scope?

Here's the 150PDS with a Telrad. I don't use the supplied finder scope. Didn't get along with it at all actually.

post-22147-0-09422600-1378028489_thumb.j

post-22147-0-97550700-1378028499_thumb.j

Whereas I only use a straight through 9x50 on mine, no need for TelRad in my opinion.

I can see Leo Trio just about from quite heavy LP (I'd estimate my NELM to be between 4.5 - 5) and can see the cores of M51 when it's at zenith.

The 150p is a fantastic scope (was my first and I still have it despite having had and sold many others). It shows a lot for it's size.

Whereas I only use a straight through 9x50 on mine, no need for TelRad in my opinion.

I can see Leo Trio just about from quite heavy LP (I'd estimate my NELM to be between 4.5 - 5) and can see the cores of M51 when it's at zenith.

The 150p is a fantastic scope (was my first and I still have it despite having had and sold many others). It shows a lot for it's size.

Im either very unlucky or im looking in the wrong place for these (i don't think i am ) i have tried M51 so many times i cant count and i try for the Trio every time it is at its best viewable position. Just checked on this site http://darkskydiary.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/naked-eye-limiting-magnitude-redux/ and from my house i can just see Polaris i cant make out out the other stars in Ursa minor.

Archived