Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SCT height for easy viewing

lhuchison

I have a 8in SCT on a cg5 mount but can't find a decent height to set it.

i,m tall 6ft 1in and have a adjustable astro chair but still I'm bending and turning and my back is suffering big time! Presently I have the stand on full height .

any ideas ' what height are your SCT s ?

I usually have the scope aligned about 10 deg above the horizon making sure I am not stretching when standing up :smiley:

This means I have to stand or sit down depending what I am looking at :smiley:

I have a c11 on a cgem, not the same combo as you but the same basic layout. Do you balance the scope by sliding scope dovetail in mount? If you push the scope to the balance point it should sit with the mirror end closer to the axis, you could try moving the scope a little past the balance point and the mount should still slew / track OK. This helps reduces the movement position at the Eyepiece.

As Chris says the diagonal should help you find a comfortable viewing position by turning it as desired. I extend my tripod legs about half way. This is what my scope looks like, set up.

post-30467-0-10984200-1377777390_thumb.j

Archived