Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion StarShoot Solar system Color Imaging Camera IV

solarastro

I am using a Orion StarShoot Solar system Color Imaging Camera IV to image the Sun. I tried today(bank holiday Monday) and couldn't find focus. The camera setting are probably the main problem does any here use thr camera and could advise what they use. The only good thing is I now know how to use my HE5 PRO mount properly. Thank you for any help you can give me. Solarastro

Gave mine it's first outing today on the Mak180Pro .

To get focused I start with lining up the edge of the disc on screen and roughly focus to a crisp edge , then with the slewing speed set on #1 I just creep across the disc until a sunspot appears in view and then fine focus on that. I have an advantage in using a USB controlled focuser from the laptop but it's just as easy if a little long-wided by hand.

Pretty tricky judging focus on a day like today with very unsteady air , you just need to monitor the screen for a while to see if the seeing settles down for a few seconds and then judge if you need a tweak or not , can be a somewhat frustrating exercise at times.

Hope this helps.

Yes the seeing was awful today. I took to 100 frame captures straight after each other. I stacked 300 from the first and less than 100 from the second. to say the image on the screen was throbbing is an understatement.

Archived