Hi! Just inherited a scope, so I'm brand new to this - please be patient!

ben83

Ah right - yes there are two finders then... one is linear (have to crane neck to use) and the other is a Right-Angle Viewfinder (#825 8 x 25 mm... )

It is unfortunately this that has a duff thread on it between the rear cell and the tube body (from reading the instruction page). Looks to be just a piece of C-mount tubing like the sort Edmunds Optics sell, so may get a replacement - unless you know of a better place. They really that expensive/hard to come by?

Yes - very noisy!

Good idea re. the menu tree - will do!

With regards to the setup - do you mean have the tripod in 'terrestial' mode and point the scope up? What's OTA? I don't really understand that sentence about Alt/Az setup at all just yet! Terminology lost on me... really need to read up about these things! Sorry!

And no DC input.

Cheers for this!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't like to disagree with James but attaching a DSLR is not a great idea on the ETX's, the DSLR is bulky and the fork mount gets in the way.

I reckon you'd probably be ok as long as you chose targets with a little care. Ronin makes a good point though that you'd need to watch out for the camera body hitting the mount and that may limit you in terms of how high in the sky something is before there isn't room for the camera any more. It may make sense to use an extension between the camera body and the back of the telescope to give a little more clearance, and/or mount the camera vertically rather than horizontally. Experimentation is the name of the game :)

James

Archived