SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone know if this free software is good or not?

stargeeza

Hi Stargeeza

Cartes cu Ciel is very good software, other good free software is Halo Northern Sky and Stellarium. It's best to try a few as how you prefer the night sky to be presented and what layout you find easiest to use is often a personal thing.

Have a look around for a free version of Starry Night Backyard, that presents the night star in very natural and easy to use way IMHO.

Gaz

BTW Welcome to the forum!!

There was a version of Starry Night on the cover of Sky At Night CD a couple of months ago. I missed it, but someone else may have it and be able to send it you.

Another good one is Red Shift, which I think is about $30 US to download.

Ah, I forgot about Redshift!! You can pick up the older versions on Ebay for next to nothing. I got V5 for £4 last year, its a good piece of software but I've learnt to use Starr Night Pro and it does all I need so it makes it hard to justify spending time getting to use anthing else.

There are some boxed sets of SN on eBay at the moment - around £15 + PP. I think with these you get the full printed manual and other CD's with movies and stuff.

It's the Enthusiast version - ideal I'd say!!

Cheers dudes .... I have to stick to free stuff coz i'm scint. I'm getting the hang of it slowly (at my age (33 and already braindead)), I got my lattitude and time, and I even found how to track star positions in time. But i dont understand co ordinates yet !!

Thanks for the advice - I need to get that manual !

Archived