Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Interview with Phil Plait, "The Bad Astronomer"

JamesF

Nice one. Adding narrative is always what good teaching is about (science or otherwise). As Terry Pratchett et al state, the human race should be called Pan narrans (the story-telling ape) rather than Homo ludens (the playful man). In essence, it is much easier in astronomy to add narrative that it is in computer science. The latter is not impossible, just harder.

I like Phil Plait and I find he is one guy who can get a message heard somewhat, it generally falls on deaf ears but his desire to educate people is clear to see.

I know he was talking about the US system but I think it's fair to apply the fact that education needs some type of reform across the board, a far more complex task than it might seem.

Good interview thanks. I particularly like Phil's comments about how science doesn't equal reductionism. You can come to some understanding - say - of how brain chemistry can affect mood, but that doesn't capture what it's like to feel a particular emotion.

Adding narrative is always what good teaching is about (science or otherwise). As Terry Pratchett et al state, the human race should be called Pan narrans (the story-telling ape) rather than Homo ludens (the playful man).

I'm also a fan of The Science of Discworld books, I must get around to reading the new one. I'm particularly taken with their insight into the prevalence of narrative thinking. It's a strength and a weakness. It helps us make sense of the world, but we struggle to understand events when they don't fit into a story. When looking at news reports or history books I often wonder who has been miscast to meet our expectations.

In essence, it is much easier in astronomy to add narrative that it is in computer science.

sorcerers-apprentice.jpg

One way - perhaps - is by invoking The Sorcerer's Apprentice: the swift and obedient servant that does exactly what it's told, regardless of the consequences. Better remember to check your overflow conditions Mickey. I might try to write a short story along these lines sometime.

mops.jpg

Archived