NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

mount for "biggies"? Helios 25x100's.

No doubt it's on here someplace......

But , I just got my Helios Q4 25x100's ,and a Hama heavy-duty tripod . The 'pod is rated at up to 5kilos of payload , but it seems a bit overwhelmed by the sheer weight of these monsters . Do-able ,but not really confidence - inspiring . Can't help dreading that expensive "crash" . I could be wrong , but why take a chance . It only cost me 26 of your Earth pounds , anyway . What I wondered , was if anyone had any experience of a couple of things I was pondering .

1- I have an EQ 5 pro ,with a nice set of legs - sturdy , just the way I likes 'em ! Is there any adaptor/attachment widget to use the 'pod or even the whole EQ 5 kit 'n' kaboodle with these bins?

2- what about one of those super-duper parall-o-gram jobbies ? Any of 'em rated at 5 kilos plus? Anyone used one , or have one to sell ?

I know I may have offended the sensitivities-or should that be , sensibilities - of the grammar-police by hyphenating the "P" word , but I've been subjected to American car advertising for too long . "Speed-o-meter" , "Skid-King-Self-Locking-Dual-Fade-Brakes" . That kind 'o thing .

It may even be an option to build something myself , if anyone would like to share their wondrous inventions .

Incidentally , the bins are good stuff ,I managed some great DSO cops , from a dark site , admittedly , with a good few nebula catches , tho' I know not what they were , just pot luck . With a good mount , these bins would still be a "Grab 'n' Go" option for holidays and the like .

Any tips , folks? All input accepted with grovelling gratitude !

It's time to spill the beans , not spill the bins !!

A photo/video tripod needs to have a load rating of at least double the weight of your binocular just to make it tolerable. They just aren't designed for a load with its centre of mass so far from the altitude bearing axis, and the resultant turning moment that you get at high elevations.

I have a UA T-mount (heavy duty P-mount) that I use with 6.5kg binoculars. Love it!

Lots of mounting ideas here, including links to plans for DIY P-mounts (that's the usual abbreviation :laugh: ) - and piccies of my T-mount. Also, Michael Wilkinson, who posts on these forums, has plans for a P-mount that goes onto a photo tripod.

Thanks ,B-Sky !

Been looking for P-mounts ,most affordable ones seem to be out of production or otherwise unavailable . I have been using the photopod wothout any arm-based mounting jiggery-pokery ,just the little wedgie/dovetail plate that came with it , but I found that the bins could , with a bit of an effort , at least , be pulled up and off the 'pod head . Hardly confidence-inspiring . I'll take a gander at the links you suggest , and have already had a trawl thru' the Binocular Sky site , but it needs further research . I came across some commercially available plans for $15 or so , but now I'll be beggared if I can find 'em again !

The quest continues.

The current sky at night mag has started a DIY wooden tripod and p mount build, its in several parts, this month is the tripod. Looks quite nice.

Have just started to gather the materials together for have a bash at it.

I'd have a go at building a P-mount , not sure I'd like a wooden one , tho' . I think a metal one would be best for me , and if it can fix to the leg section of my EQ - 5 , that would be great . Anyone know the threadform of the securing bolt that holds the EQ - 5 head to the 'pod ? It would save buying a surveying 'pod , or making legs , methinks .

I've only just started stargazing but realized on my first night with my 20*80's that i needed a good mount to get good views. i wandered around a few jumble sales and found a battered theodolite stand for £20. plenty of wd40 got it apart. A good sand down, a touch of wood filler, hammerite paint for the metal, sadolin for the wood and plenty of grease when putting back together. looks brand new.

for the p mount a £27 sheet of ply, a £9 sheet of 3mm ptfe, a bag of bolts and wingnuts, repair washers, wood brackets all for about £25. A second hand set of dumbells courtesy of ebay. Only tools used were a jigsaw, drill and adjustable spanner. Started at 9am Saturday and finished 9pm. Packed it in the car and went straight out to test it. Worked like a dream. Great views on deep sky objects.

No plans were used. Just built it straight out of my head. I'm no DIY expert, if i can do this anyone can.

Would highly recommend just diving in and having a bash

• 2 weeks later...

Can we see pics of the build friedeggs? I too am thinking of a theodolite stand but  the centre section link from that to p mount has me puzzled and need to see pic for ideas, I can get a theodolite stand off ebay cheap enough even seen one at a car boot sale for a tenner a while back, sounds the better option as I am no craftsman by a long shot!

• 3 weeks later...

post-31967-0-69739800-1380836819_thumb.jpost-31967-0-77286600-1380836844_thumb.j Fella at my local club is building me a p mount, heres the first prototype taking shape, going to lose the double top tube and have 1 long one with the threaded bar in the end for the counterweights, its an eq3 mount, with 2 blocks of mahogany with a bearing between from an old lathe, at the other end will be another bracket for the binos with some swivel and tilt action when the materials are gathered together, so far its cost me 20 quid for the second hand tripod and 60 quid in materials, some not needed and some with lots of spares left over but its a learning curve and the leftovers can be used for something else but its solid!

Archived