Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars decent quality 7x36s or average quality 8x42s??

Moonshane

hi all,

I have a decent quality pair of Opticron 7x36 BGA waterproof roof prism bins and really enjoyed using them in Wales recently. I am considering selling them and getting a pair of slightly larger bins but want 8x so I can comfortably hand hold them. I want the simplest set up so 10s or 15s are out as I find the view too shaky (for astro) unless I rest on something.

Would I see the benefit with say a 8x42 or 8x50? I'd guess that I might get enough if I sold them for perhaps http://www.firstlightoptics.com/porroprism/opticron-imagic-tga-wp-porro-prism.html but would I be happy with the quality and is it worth it?

cheers

Shane

Shane, I've not used the 7x36 BGA, but I have the 10x42 which, for me, is the ideal hand-held binocular for astronomy. The only better ones I've used have been Leicas and Swarovskis. However, an "upgrade" from 7x36 to 8x50 will give you only about half a magnitude extra brightness (assuming equivalent optical quality) -- a 10x42 will have about the same magnitude limit as an 8x50, because of the better contrast you get from darker sky background (from increasing magnification).

What I'm getting at is that you will probably not see a heck of a lot of benefit, even from going up to an 8x50 (although it will be obviously brighter). The 7x36 BGA is reputed to be a damned good little bino and you will notice the drop in quality if you don't get something as good; quality is (for me, anyway) at least as important as aperture. Best advice, I think (after this rambling diatribe) is to try a few before taking the plunge and see if you think it's worth it.

cheers Steve

I think you have summed up my own thoughts very well as although I felt that I'd gain from a bigger aperture and a little more magnification, I was concerned about quality (I use TV eyepieces so it is important to me). I'd hate to sell my 7x36s and then regret it. Your advice is quite right I think. At the next star party, I'll be on the hunt (with Jaffa cakes obviously) for someone with suitable comparisons! I am not the biggest fan of bins for astronomy but my recent visit to Wales resurrected them as a tool for use on holidays etc.

Archived