Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW 300 flex tube dob base - slack in motors

nicks90

I know this section usually discusses EQ mounts etc - but hopefully someone may be able to help me with a question I have regarding my newly acquired SW 300 flex tube tracking dob.

Its not the goto dob, but does have both motors and a handset for auto tracking and moving it about instead of nudging, via the handset.

my question is actually two fold.

- I never got the manual wth the scope, so I have no idea how to set it up to track objects once I press the track button. I have had a search and I just cant find any instructions on line, other than the ones for the full goto dob system. Does anyone have the instructions on how to set it up so it can track? Muchly appreciated if you do!

- There is a fair bit of play in the alt motor. If you physically move the ota up and down there is probably 3 or 4 deg of movement before feeling the resistance of the motor - same goes if you move the ota up too far and then press the down button on the handset, motor whirs for a bit and then 'catches up' with the slack and starts moving it.

Is there a way to tighten this slack up a bit?

its not that much of a show stopper to be honest, but it would be nice to get it all tghtened up and learn how to engage tracking without having the move the ota with the handset to keep objects in the FOV.

kind regards

Nick

I've found a counterweight on the primary end is the best way to prevent slippage on the alt axis. You can get taxi magnets for a few quid on ebay to hang a weight on. These scopes are always nose heavy especially when adding eyepieces or cameras.

You can tighten the alt axis nut by removing the power switch cover on the side but personally I feel a counter weight is better.

Archived