Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

phd guide issues

Hello all

I am currently using nebulosity and Phd guiding all latest software under Windows 7 x64

Scope I am using is Skywatcher Espirt 100 ED

CCD - QHY8L

Auto guider QHY5 ll on Orion ST80 and attached to the main scope a Skywatcher 9*50 Finderscope so I change around the QHY5 ll at my pleasure

So it all started few nights ago when I was guiding, 10 minutes into my session with the Phd Graph enabled I saw from both flat RA and DEC lines to the DEC drop right down…

Since then I haven’t been able to do any guiding….

I have tried to calibrate however the software will either freeze then I have to restart …

Or if I don’t touch anything will calibrate up to 61 then say failed – something about the star did not move

I have tried settings in the brain…

Manual control option

Checks the cables

Any ideas …

Sounds almost like PHD simply lost connection to the mount while it was sending a guide command - causing the graph to drop as the mount was still holding on to that "guide command" sendt right as PHD lost connection. I'm not 100% sure of this though, but it would explain both the graph, and why it won't calibrate any more. This is, if PHD guides by sending [ "start moving", wait a few ms, "stop moving" ] commands to control the mount.

As to why it suddenly happend is another thing. If the cables are good, and you've tried restarting the mount/hand controller and PC, then it sounds a bit odd.

I haver to admit though, that i've had PHD freezing/crashing a few times allready since i got my QHY5L 1 week ago, while with a webcam, it have crashed maybe 3 times or so, the last 4 years...

To get it up and runnign again when it crashes, i've eitehr just had to restart PHD after unplugging and replugging the camera, or in some cases restart the PC.

Hmm, then i guess we can exclude that, lol.

Though, we can't exclude that it's just a bad connection/soldering inside the camera.

Before ordering a new one, i'd at least open it up and check the soldering points for the ST4 plug.

I've seen it from time to time on pretty much any electrnics, indoor or outdoor, that soldering points can fail due to various reasons, and cause a bad conection.

prior to that I downloaded the software but that shouldn't effect it should it?

i can't answer to that unfortunatly, but i can't really see how it shuold?

If you've checked the soldering points as well then i'm out of ideas, sorry. :(

Archived