NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flocking Convert

I have seen a few posts on the forum about flocking but never thought there could be that much improvement but have I been proved wrong.

I was at a loose end last week so decided to have a go with my 200p which does not get used much as I prefer my Equinox 120 as it is easier to use at least for me. The wife popped into town and came back with two rolls of flocking from Wilko's £10 total cost. While she was out I striped the scope of every thing but the finder bracket. I had kept the original foam packing so I could lay the tube horizontally and just turn it as I applied the flocking. It was a lot easier to apply than I expected then using a craft knife I cut out the bolt and focuser holes reassembled and

collimated. A clear night was forecast so I mounted it on my NEQ6 and

as it got dark did a star test I am getting better at collimation as the star test was good. After a three star alignment in EQMOD I slewed to M51 which in the past using this scope has always alluded me but there it was and I could make out a spiral structure. I was amazed at the difference whether it was down to the flocking my getting better at collimating or clear sky's or a combination of all these things. All I can say it is definitely worth ten pounds to get that sort of improvement. The trouble now, is if you can get that sort of improvement on an 8" scope what could you get on a 10" or even a 12". Aperture fever strikes again.

That sounds a great result :smiley:

I flocked my 10" Orion Optics newtonian but I didn't notice much difference between the "before and after" with that to be honest. I've not flocked my current 12" Orion Optics but maybe I'll need to re-think now :smiley:

You could be right John It could be down to the fact I disassembled every thing and putting it back together hit the sweet spot but I am pleased with the result but still sure the flocking helped.

Archived