Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51 new and old edit

Jessun

I thought I had lost this data on a crashed hard drive but it turned out that I had uploaded the stack to DropBox, so delighted to have found it I immediately gave it a new go.

The image is 7 hours with the RC8" at f8, taken from the city. Top is the new edit and below is what I managed with the exact same stack about a year ago. Back then a fellow member on SGL helped me along by showing what could be done.

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome if this is heading the right way - or if it isn't.

/Jesper

New edit:

gallery_16323_2313_4219398.png

Old edit:

gallery_16323_2313_209720.jpg

Duplicate the top image. Apply a High Pass filter with about 6-10 pixels. Then change the blend mode to Soft Light. That'll bring out the details in the cores whilst retaining the softer detail outside the galaxy. You could also apply a layer mask and paint in the cores

A top tip! Tried it and it does bring out more! :smiley: This is a never ending boot camp, and it's great to learn more. Need to read up on high pass filter now and what it actually does.

Thanks Zakalwe!

/Jesper

Archived