NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky Tee mount question

Kevin Ellis

Thanks John

So as the Sky Tee fits my wooden tripod, the white 8" Skywatcher EQ6 extension tube sold by FLO £55, should fit between my wooden tripod and the Sky Tee mount.

No, I think the EQ6 has a different fitting to the mounts mentioned above, rather annoyingly.

I have the one that Rik links to. It's a really well made extension. Quite heavy though. I bought mine from the WIdescreen Centre when in London and then lugged it back across town on the tube - I think other passengers thought I was carrying a missile or something !

Thanks for your input guys.

I have seen the one from widescreen, but it is twice as long as the EQ6 extension. EQ5 extension is 400mm, EQ6 extension is 200mm. With my 80mm F15 refractor the 200mm would be ok.

Looking at various pictures on the internet it looks like the EQ6 extension has a shallow recess on the top which would match the shallow protrusion on the bottom of the Sky Tee mount. The protrusion on the bottom of the Sky Tee mount is 60mm in diameter. It looks like the recess on the top of the EQ6 extension is around 65mm.

The bottom of the EQ6 extension looks like it has a protrusion of about 30mm in diameter, which would fit into the 60mm diameter hole on my wooden tripod base. I may need to put a collar on the bottom of the EQ6 extension so that it centered on the tripod.

Can anyone confirm my measurements with regards to an EQ6 mount.

I could get the EQ5 extension and shorten it but it is almost twice the price.

Thanks for you help.

Kevin

Archived