Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Going out tonight and need some advice.

Hello.

I shall be visiting Durlston near Swanage in the south of the UK.

I have done a some research but i'm still a little confused!

I would really love to get some pictures of the milky way.

Will this be possible? Is it dark enough there?

I will be using a Canon 6D + Samyang 14mm f2.8

I dont have any experience using star charts, apps etc... so it's all a bit over my head!

I have Google Sky Map on my phone, and i believe the Milky Way will be visible from there...?

Please correct me if i'm wrong about anything, and share any advice.

Thank you!

Can't help much with the photo bit, but I can confirm that the Milky Way is visible at the moment when the skies get dark enough - at least midnight. Away from any severe light pollution it arches right overhead and down to the south/ south west

Kerry

Keep an eye out for clouds. I don't want to lay on any bad news but....according to my web-site here in Spain, down in Swanage/Durlston Head you may have a fair bit of cloud tonight. Other than that, yes, just as Kerry says, so long as you're at a reasonable dark site and its clear of cloud the Milky Way band should be visible.

Suspect you have gone but try 20 sec exposures and 30 sec exposures.

If the camera has the option - most do - then have it set to take it's own darks as this reduces noise on the final image.

It will have to be set to Manual for aperture and exposure duration and you will need to focus it yourself.

The advantage is being digital you take 20 and 30 sec exposures at f/2.8 and f/4 and any other reasonable combination and see how they turn out. Then delete the poor ones.

Have fun

Probably a bit late but I read somewhere last week about the 600 rule which is basicly 600 divided by the focal length of your lens so your Samyang should get you about 42 secs before star trailing starts to appear. To be safe some people suggest a 500 rule so my 24mm ended up with an exposure of 20 secs. I did attempt 25 secs but was not happy with the small amount of trailing that started to appear.

High ISO noise on the 6D is supposed to be comparable with the 5dMk3 so I found an ISO of 3200 works well, and a sturdy tripod, mirror lock up and use a wireless/remote trigger.

Thankyou for your replies.

Sadly there was alot of whispy cloud around, but it didn't stop me going.

I managed to get some pictures of the milky way but with a fair bit of cloud.

It is certainly dark enough to capture the milky way there :)

Regarding the 600 rule...

At 18mm the stars still trail after just 13 seconds, so most of my exposures were shot at 10 seconds f2.8, iso was upto 10000 when pointing at the darker areas of the sky.

I was rather tired when i got home so only processed a couple of shots.

Will figure out how to post the images as i'm currently at work using my mobile.

I feared the weather might not have been up to much but glad you got out. Tonight (if my weather site is any good) you should have a clear night, not nearly as much cloud about but the seeing forecast doesn't look that great. Look forward to seeing the images.

Archived