NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

choosing the right mount for AP

The EQ-5 and 200P combination is used quite often, although you will find the whole thing easier on either a HEQ-5 Pro Synscan or NEQ-6 Pro Synscan. The latter supports 18kg for imaging.

Bear this thread in mind too when you get to imaging:

HTH :)

If you are starting out in AP can I suggest buying the book 'Making Every Photon Count' that is available from the FLO website in their book section. This will tell you everything that you need to know about imaging. It will save you some costly mistakes in the long run if you buy the wrong kit.

For AP a well used combo is an HEQ5 and an 80ED refractor. This is probably the best plug and play option that you will get. The relatively short focal length of the scope means that the HEQ5 will happily buzz about all night and give you few problems. Once you start putting longer focal lengths onto the HEQ5, then it will begin to struggle a little.

With the book it will tell you about guiding as well, which is something you'll want to consider with DSO AP - Many imagers use subs that run into the 20-30 minute bracket. For that you will benefit from the 80ED. It's all explained in the book!!! Best £20 you'll spend.

I have used my Skyliner 200P OTA on my HEQ5 Pro mount for visual and it works perfectly well, but I think for AP it would be a struggle. The 1200mm focal length is not ideal for imaging and I think that stability might be an issue. I would imagine that an EQ5 would be less stable. However, people do produce decent images with less than ideal kit.

The HEQ5 pro goto is light enough to carry it in and out your house. For visual use, the 200p will be fine, but not for AP longer exposures... Start with the mount, buy a lighter 2nd scope 2nd hand and save up for a good camera. Before you get to the camera, build a finder guider setup. That should keep you busy for a while...

As others have said, the 200 is a big long OTA for imaging, but as Zuben said some folks still manage some amazing pics on an eq5.

If you are on a budget then consider the Celestron CG5-GT Pro advanced (the last incarnation) although now discontinued, some shops still have them. Think there's a couple on ebay new. It has a few upgrades over the EQ5 including upgraded bearings etc and better alignment routine and still has an autoguider port, bigger different database. Also has a sturdy 2" tripod mount (actually bigger than the Heq5's) funnily enough, though if you can pick up a second hand heq5 you'd be better off.

I picked up a CG5-gt from FLO on clearance, very pleased with it. I only have an ED100 refractor though, so weight not an issue for me. The 2" tripod is really good and is one of it's underestimated positives to me.

Archived