Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Weak, weaker, weakest: Kronberger 61

Avdhoeven

This was my most elusive target until now. Kronberger 61 is a planetary nebula only discovered in 2011 by an amateur astronomer while searching through the kepler satellite imagery.

This nebula has a surface brightness of much less than 25 mag/arcsec^2 and therefore is very hard to detect.

This image was made using 30 minute exposures with a TEC140@f7/QSI583 with a 3nm astrodon OIII filter from about 18.5-19 mag skies.

Until now I didn't find very many amateur images of this object except with much larger instruments. I'm trying to collect more data to see if I can bring out the structure in the nebula.

Kronberger61_inv_annotated.jpg

30 minute exposures with that setup, and yet that faint? o.o Now That must be a tough one to capture!

good job! :)

I haven't even heard about this one before.

Edit: also, if i hadn't known better, i would have personally just filterd it out as dust on the sensor. Shows how inportant flats can be i guess.

I thought so to. But somehow with narrowband (very narrow 3nm) and the flatfield of the TEC I never have any problems with dust and so. It's a totally different story with RGB. Don't ask me why. Maybe somebody here knows...

Archived