Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 and M57

astrodam

I'm still getting started with imaging and these are last nights attempts at a couple of DSOs. My second session. I need another go at Andromeda to get more detail out. post-31009-0-74856900-1375432724_thumb.jpost-31009-0-87195900-1375432738_thumb.j It was lovely and clear here last night and I even caught sight of a few meteors while I let the camera do its thing :) Very satisfying :)

Well looks good from here, especially with your equipment your running, and I wish my eyes could gather more light, got my first view of M31 last night in my 200P. Just a shame there's so much LP :sad: Now thinking I am going to buy my self an DLSR maybe :grin:

M57 looks OK trying cropping it so its larger and more central, but you may loose detail and quality

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Dave, It does lose a bit of quality if I crop and enlarge but I think I like it with the bright star in the frame also :)

Looks promising. You can probably process more detail out of the M31 image... What are the exposure details?

I did 10x30sec exposures at ISO 800 (for both images) then same number of darks and put them through DSS and GIMP2 - I'm still fumbling about at the minute and just pleased to get something half decent :)

To get the spiral arm details out of M31 you need to increase the exposure times to a few minutes ideally. However, if as it seems you're not guiding then just try and push as high as possible before you get trailing in your stars.

To get the spiral arm details out of M31 you need to increase the exposure times to a few minutes ideally. However, if as it seems you're not guiding then just try and push as high as possible before you get trailing in your stars.

Cheers stu, next time i'll try that. I did get some 1 minute exposures with M27 and M13 previously so i'll try my luck with M31 too :)

Archived