zoom eyepieces

Hi Everybody I am looking for some help on zoom eyepieces ie the baader 8 - 24 clickstop or the meade 4000 series mk 111 can someone tell me which would be the better one for use with my skywatcher 8" dob. I am not into astro photography only viewing planets and d.s.o or would I be better off with a different eyepiece all together.

I read somewhere on SGL a few months ago the Seben zoom was a good one to go for. I think 'Teleskop Service' are the distributor. From other report and topics raised 'Teleskop Service' are quick at processing and dispatching orders to the UK.

Thank you Philip I have looked at the reports about the seben which all seem good. But was wondering if the baader or meade would give better views or would a cheaper one be just as good with my set up. thanks again

The Seben is OK as long as you don't pay much for it. I got one for around £30 to use at a public viewing event and it was not bad, especially if you stay in the 8mm - 15mm part of the range. Above 15mm the view got pretty constricted and not so great. The Baader Hyperion zoom is better quality all round (I've owned one of those as well) but still not quite as sharp as fixed focal length Hyperion eyepieces. The optical quality of the Hyperion zoom stays better than the lower cost ones throughout it's range.

Zooms are good to travel with and to experiment with focal lengths to find which work well for you. In my opinion they are not fully a substitute for good quality fixed focal length eyepieces.

Thanks Global Moderator could you recommend a good fixed focal eyepiece I have the cheaper ones ie celestron eyepiece set but was wanting something with sharper views ect

At f/6 or "slower" okey, but even at f/5 still acceptable regarding sharpness of the outer field AND considering the price, are the UWA with 66 degree of apparent field of view. Nice space-walk effect due to the wide angle view, and cost only 30€ at eBay (new, buy it now from the UK).

I think they are some variant of the erfle design.

As they are only available in 6, 9, 15 and 20mm for a overview eyepice you may need something else, depending on the sky quality (light polution and eyit pupil) something around 30-35mm.

The 80 degree afov erfle for 80-100€ seem to be a good budget solution, not as sharp as the tswa 32mm, but probably similar as those only have 70 degree afov.

For searching I'd favor the larger field anyway.

Budget-Budget solution would be the seben/orbinar Plössl, 8 to 17 € and for the price more then okey, I have a few.

Though under 9mm focal length I'd recomend a barlow and longer focal length eyepiece, as the eye relief on the "short' Plössl is horrible.

Thanks Global Moderator could you recommend a good fixed focal eyepiece I have the cheaper ones ie celestron eyepiece set but was wanting something with sharper views ect

John will do fine :smiley:

The BST Explorer eyepieces are very popular on here. The cost around £49 each I believe and offer a slightly wider field of view than the plossl types and a more comfortable eye position (eye relief) with twist up eye cups so you can find the position that suits you best each time you use them.

The company Skies the Limit sell them direct or through e.bay. Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/

I've no link with that company by the way.

These should work well with your 8" dobsonian and will I think be an improvement over the Celestron kit ones, especially in the shorter focal lengths.

The UWA eyepieces that Marcus (Schorhr) mentions are quite nice as well I'd agree.

Yes, nice eyepieces as well, those types work well even on f/5, I just wish there where cheap & good wide angle eyepieces around 30mm :-)

If I was on a tight budget for 30mm I'd go for a decent plossl of around that focal length. Not a "wide angle" as such but it will fare better in fast scopes than a budget wide field would. I've been using a Vixen NPL 30mm on and off recently and that seems a nice example of a long focal length plossl.

John will do fine :smiley:

The BST Explorer eyepieces are very popular on here. The cost around £49 each I believe and offer a slightly wider field of view than the plossl types and a more comfortable eye position (eye relief) with twist up eye cups so you can find the position that suits you best each time you use them.

The company Skies the Limit sell them direct or through e.bay. Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/

I've no link with that company by the way.

These should work well with your 8" dobsonian and will I think be an improvement over the Celestron kit ones, especially in the shorter focal lengths.

The UWA eyepieces that Marcus (Schorhr) mentions are quite nice as well I'd agree.

Thanks John I will have a look at the ones you mentioned and hopefully pick the right one Thanks again

I picked up the sky watcher zoom eyepiece, 7mm to 21mm eyepiece, still have it, not the greatest zoom, but I think pretty much made me avoid further purchase of zoom eyepieces :mad: but having said that, between 7mm to 10mm was okay viewing... :smiley:

If I was on a tight budget for 30mm I'd go for a decent plossl of around that focal length. Not a "wide angle" as such but it will fare better in fast scopes than a budget wide field would. I've been using a Vixen NPL 30mm on and off recently and that seems a nice example of a long focal length plossl.

The NPL certainly is a quality EP, however i still prefer the 32mm GSO plossl. That beauty always impressed me as its FOV (only 50 degrees), was so immersive. It sucks you right in and really puts you amongst the stars.

Sorry. Back on to zooms. I have the Hyperion MkIII. Its great because it means i have to carry less outside and i dont need to keep swapping EP's. They are not for everyone because they are expensive and really only needed for the reasons i stated. Being of limited mobilty, i find them really practical.

Thank you paul your input is most welcome Ithink I will buy the baader zoom and a couple of bst explorers that John suggested if cant get on with it can always sell it on flea bay thank again

A few people here have used both the NPL and BST EP's and the NPL come a close 2nd to the BST. By all accounts the BST are amazing EP's. Good luck with your purchase and do let us know how you get on. The only issue i have found with my zoom is that when using the 8mm magnification, its not as sharp and is slightly blurry. Blurry is even a strong word. Its just a tad "soft" on focus. The same zoom has been known to seize up completely for some reason, but anyone i know who has had this happen has had the zoom replaced by the company they bought it from, FLO (first light optics). I'd say to you to buy from them as they are the best of the best. Unless you already have a company of your preferred choice.

I've got the Hyperion MKIII 8-24mm and the barlow that goes with it. This gives me a total range of 3.5-24mm. I've no issues with image quality when used in my 2" focuser. It's a very solid bit of kit. I can even hang my DSLR off it. :)

With the barlow attached it's fun to zoom in on the moon. Looks like you are about to land! :D

For wide FOV I swap out the zoom for my Baader 2" 31mm aspheric. These are the main two lenses I use now.

I've got the Hyperion MKIII 8-24mm and the barlow that goes with it. This gives me a total range of 3.5-24mm. I've no issues with image quality when used in my 2" focuser. It's a very solid bit of kit. I can even hang my DSLR off it. :)

With the barlow attached it's fun to zoom in on the moon. Looks like you are about to land! :D

For wide FOV I swap out the zoom for my Baader 2" 31mm aspheric. These are the main two lenses I use now.

Thanks Mitchelln See how I get on with the lense first might get barlow later think the wife might kick off if I buy the bst explorers and the barlow

I must try something tonight. I have the zoom and i have a 1.5-2x Revelation barlow. I've never introduced them to each other. I cant think of any reason why the zoom (in its 1.25" format) will not happily fit my barlow.

Anyone tried using the zoom with a different brand of barlow?

I must try something tonight. I have the zoom and i have a 1.5-2x Revelation barlow. I've never introduced them to each other. I cant think of any reason why the zoom (in its 1.25" format) will not happily fit my barlow.

Anyone tried using the zoom with a different brand of barlow?

I'd be interested how you get on...

I've been considering a zoom EP for my 250 dob

Archived