NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

lower price binoculars

Watchman

Now I know this is going to hurt the hearts of binocular lovers but I have an extremely limited budget for astronomy sadly. Can anyone tell me what would be the best binoculars I can expect to get for under £30.

I have seen a brand called Kepler who do 10 and 12 X 50 for that price range.

Helios Solana 12 or 10 X 50, is this the same brand as the legendary Helios Apollo's I hear about?

Also, would 12 X 50 be a real advantage over 10 X 50 or is there some drawback to that extra magnification?

Be gentle, I am a novice in all things astronomical!

My advice would be to get a used "old fashioned" 10x50, something like a Zenith, Swift Newport, or Frank-Nipole. Far better made and more robust than modern budget stuff, aperture is not stopped down internally so they are brighter, despite nominally poorer coatings and unfairly-derided BK7 prisms. See http://binocularsky.com/binoc_eval.php for how to check it over.

Other the UK, where are you?

There is a birding show on in 2-3 weeks that has a huge marquee of binoculars which you can try.

Sort of every model by 20+ makers which you can try out and see what you think, prices are fro £40-50 up to £1600.

It is at Rutland Water but UK as a location is not really helpful to suggest anything.

Lidl's sell a great set of 10x50 for less then £30. They only come on sale about twice a year.............summer and christmas. It will be worth picking up a set near christmas as they are great bins. In the mean time maybe have a look around for a second hand set of 10x50. You might just find one at your budget.

My advice would be to get a used "old fashioned" 10x50, something like a Zenith, Swift Newport, or Frank-Nipole. Far better made and more robust than modern budget stuff, aperture is not stopped down internally so they are brighter, despite nominally poorer coatings and unfairly-derided BK7 prisms. See http://binocularsky.com/binoc_eval.php for how to check it over.

Good idea. I have an old pair of "Airport" branded 10x50. Ive had them for 30 yrs and they were second hand when my dad bought them for me. They are so heavy compared to modern 10x50, but the build quality is second to none.

Archived