Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planning for next session.

Hi nick,

i haven't been as organised as you with specific targets yet but am interested in your list.

just been looking at some photos of some of them from the deep sky survey, particularly the planetary nebs. Most are mag of 10 and above so I wondered how visible they might be. 6772 looks interesting but has a surface brightness of 13.7, whereas 6778 is mag 13 with an sb of 10.10. I wondered whether you've seen many of them before? Anyway thanks for showing us.

I haven't viewed NGC 6778 but I observed NGC 6772 in September 2009 with my 12" f4.9 flextube at a dark site. Here's what I wrote:

Found with 20mm plossl and UHC filter - virtually invisible without. Faint, featureless, moderately large, low surface brightness. I'm impressed that William Herschel [its discoverer] could see it."

From my notes I see it was a bumper night: 28 objects viewed between 10.15pm and 4.50a.m. Roll on those autumn nights!

Thanks acey, very good notes, I did wonder.

this thread has made me think about the next clear night so I've downloaded the RASC's summer finest, so I'll have a go at some of these.

1375310692' post='2002795']

Thanks acey, very good notes, I did wonder.

this thread has made me think about the next clear night so I've downloaded the RASC's summer finest, so I'll have a go at some of these.

just reposting the image as there was a problem with it

post-20507-0-24578200-1375375519_thumb.j

Archived