Setup Advice for Widefield and 9x50 Guidescope

Hi All,

I have managed to borrow a Canon 1100d and would like to have a go widefield photography. I have the means to mount the camera to my EQ5 (with RA drive motor) but I'm unsure how best to add my 9x50 finder scope (when I mod it to take my SPC900) to the mount?

I know this is a newbie question, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll post my first pics (don't expect too much) :)

Thanks

Andrew

It might take a small set of guide rings on a short dovetail to house the 9x50 finder, but then not sure how you attach the camera as well! Dual-mount bars would be an expensive option..

I have a ST80 guidescope with normal tube rings on a short dovetail, then another short dovetail on the top to which I've attached a ball head mount with my 1000D on.

PM sent as well.

Yeah, unless anyone else can offer further advice then I think you've got two options:

1) Save up for a ST80 to use as a guidescope. You can use the SPC900 as a guidecam - I assume you have a standard 1.25" adapter for it.

2) Find a method of mounting both a 9x50 finder and your 1100D together.

Both assume you have a ST4 guideport on your EQ5 - either through the synscan upgrade or a modded EQ5 handset - and also a USB guide controller (HITEC USB Guider, SimpleGpUSB, etc).

Needless to say, a QHY5 or other dedicated guidecam is better than a SPC900 webcam...

I went down the DIY route and built myself a tbar with a finderscope shoe and a head off an old tripod.

Still use it (used it last night in fact - doing a bit of cloud dodging) and it works well.

Cheers John

I have the Eq5 mod kit. I'm yet to do it though. I need a soldering iron.

That diy mod is precisely what I'm looking for. Would this be a suitable setup if I got an ST80 to guide with?

Cheers Gents.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The DIY TBar option when combined with a ST80 might be pushing it. The problem would be in balancing the setup. Its not too bad when its just a camera and the finderscope as both are relatively light.

You then might need to add counterweights to get the balance back.

Cheers John

Hopefully attached an image of my widefield setup, which consists of a ST80 guidescope with a short dovetail on top and bottom of the tube rings. A ball head has been added onto the top dovetail to hold my 1000D.

I used the inside holes on the dovetails, since the ST80 itself is also sometimes piggybacked onto my ED80 using the outer holes.

post-18698-0-11599900-1375196543_thumb.j

I used a piece of 18mm plywood 350mm lg to cut to the shape of a vixen dovetail, then I put a SW finder shoe on each end (one to put my SW9x50 QHY5 FinderGuider on, the other for my Illuminated SW 9x50 Finder, then in the middle I put one of these on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLR-DSLR-Black-Camera-Lens-Tripod-Shutter-Quick-Release-Clamp-Plate-Adapter-Set-/360564035814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53f34a90e6 as it has a sturdy fixing point (I thought that replace screw lock ball heads might move in use)

Know I currently just mount the plywood dovetail on top of a cheap ST80 I brought for casual observing, look at my Avatar photo

Archived