Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ADM Max-Guider Saddle - Your thoughts?

Sp@ce_d

I've been wondering about getting one of these to mount the ZS71 to my dual bar setup. Be interested in any others experience/comments on my plans before I shell out on one....

I have a 3 scope setup across the bar at present.

80ED - ST80(guiding) - ZS66

Thinking of removing ST80 & moving 80ED to centre. Adding ZS71 in its place & using an OAG for guiding.

ZS71 - 80ED - ZS66

I use the SW Guide saddle for the ZS66 modified with ADM saddle & a wide top vixen bar. I was thinking of doing the same for the ZS71 but the cost of doing that takes it closer to the Max-Guider anyway & it looks sturdier.

I'm hoping this will allow me to align everything for a triple imaging setup :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Sp@ce_d

i have used a max guider for a year now after I could not get my dual bar to point at exactly the same place in the sky (longer focal length). I can highly recommend it as it is a real problem solver. I did consider the SW version but I wanted the extra capacity "just in case". So far the heaviest scope I have used with it has been a Meade 127 APO although it is usually a Meade 80 APO or now an FSQ85. The ADM system ( I use ADM throughout) easily coped with the 127 and I was quite relaxed with its use.

Like all ADM kit, it is built to last, robust and high quality. Adjustments are very easy with two fine bolts for azimuth adjustment and a very nice large wheel for altitude adjustment. This wheel makes this process very easy. I tend to use a ccd set to 2 or 3 second continuous exposures to visualise where I want to set the view. Both adjustments are solid, aided more so with a locking wheel above the altitude adjusting wheel. With this system you can easily get an exact match for views, or, as I am experimenting with at the moment, I am offsetting the views making a wider field of view when images are combined. Registar is your friend here.

One thing, i have the F version which means i have to use a male to male losmandy plate as both the dual bar and the bottom of the max guider are female. I don't think the M version was available at the time I was looking but Adm very kindly sent me the male to male losmandy plate foc.

Overall, when I am using the dual bar, I always use the max guider as I have complete flexibility. In no way am I knocking the SW version, but the ADM system just works and that is all I ask. A highly recommended bit of kit.

Archived