NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Car Boot barlow and eyepiece finds, what are they ?

Probably no. Name Set from some Department Store telescope?

See if the barlow has glass or plastic lenses, also are there any prints on the side, are the eyepieces metal at the side, is it blackened inside the eyepiece Barrel or just black plastic?

Hard to tell from this side, and light, probably Huygens eyepieces? The 4mm possibly S/R, or Same to often mislabled 6mm H.

Your Barlow should feel heaver towards the objective end, if you lightly tap on the objective with your finger nail, you should hear a dull heavy sounding click with glass, with plastic it will sound bright and hollow if you follow my meaning. Unless you are conversant with the known optical manufactures, I would be extra careful in future, when considering a purchase from a car boot sale, although I have seen bargains to be had, like an almost new SW skyhawk 114 complete kit for £25. The lady selling, was rather surprised that it went so quickly, one of her Sons acquirements after the Prof. B. Cox effect,, lost interest because he could not understand it or get on with the thing. Now how often have we heard that tale before :)

Cannot expand the images to see any more.

Simple option is try the barlows.

The eyepieces do look like the supplied eyepieces with a scioe and sure there is one that comes or came with a 12.5mm and a 4mm that were pretty bad. May have been one that says 565x from a 70mm objective for some reason. :grin: :grin:

Means either the barlows are as bad or whoever decided to buy additional for even more then 565x (likely trying for 700x) :eek: :eek:

Archived