NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M11 Wild Duck cluster.

cotterless45

Now rising to a useful height in the south. This is a simply stunning target. I was quite astounded to use higher magnifications up to x240 to see grainy brown sugary like patches glinting with brighter stars.

Try it, under ,

clear skies,

Nick.

Now rising to a useful height in the south. This is a simply stunning target. I was quite astounded to use higher magnifications up to x240 to see grainy brown sugary like patches glinting with brighter stars.

Try it, under ,

clear skies,

Nick.

It is also a feature I like about this object, or for that matter it applies to many open clusters I've seen so far, they can be interesting to look at various magnifications. In each case it brings something to the view that is worth seeing. I found everything from the 6mm down to 25mm I have were worth the views on this object. The higher mag to see some details locally against a darker background, but the lower mags too.

Still number one for me in the charts right now, that being said some of DSOs lower down like M24, M18 M25 etc all are very good too, just a bit too low in the sky to get good views, seeing that is also the direction where the street light in my case, that's not helping. I suspect if M24 was 10 - 20 degrees higher right now, I bet it would also be a stunner :)

Archived