Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it OK to keep scope like this?

Hi All,

Finally back looking upwards after a difficult few months at work.

I'm in the lucky position (I think) of being able to keep my scope on it's HEQ5 mount all set up, just inside our house. All I have to do is lift it (heavier than you'd think & awkward) out onto the patio & let it settle into it's surroundings. As someone who really struggled with Polar aligning I now think I've got this as good as it will get (by me) in that I can track an object on the motors for about 1hr before I need to adjust. I have placed a mark on the patio for where the feet of the tripod go which seems to line the scope uo pretty well..

Each time I lift and move the scope obviously there is a little jarring etc - Does the above methodology sound right or do I need to spend more time setting the scope up each time I use it? Any tips / advice would be useful.

Definitely ok for visual. I used to use a compass to get my GM8 pointing roughly north having previously set the latitude. This was absolutely fine for my visual needs. Indeed it was a good enough starting point for drift alignment. I haven't looked through a polar scope in donkeys.

I've seen people who have drilled notches in driveways / patios etc to quite accurately reposition their mounts in each time.

Just look out for your back mate.

Phil.

Archived