Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar convert!

The_PSY3NTIST

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well now I am confused.

My pst has a blue lens, but the blocking filter looks exactly the same as in your top pic. It is red with no ring or silicone.

Did you just put the etalon in the new blue lens pst you bought, or have you swapped the blocking filter as well.

Thanks for looking. I just swapped the etalon into the pst with the blue lens. To me it has been manufactured wrong so I'm going to swap it round. The guy I got it off says that's how it was bought but from your reply and a search of images on google I'm yet to find one that looks like mine.

Be careful David, there may have been some changes made during the pst lifespan, so I cannot confirm which blocking filter assembly is correct. I would have assumed that the one on the new pst is correct, but even mine looks like your old one. The mini erf should be at the bottom of the assembly out of sight so I cannot tell from the pics which is right.

Wait until you get more info from others that might know better.

Yeah if I screw the eye piece out I can see the mini erf. The blocking filter looks red from the back with a nice finish to the holder so I'm 70% it's the wrong way round, it's literally like an orange mirror from the eyepiece side. Have you ever screwed your eye piece out? If so does it look like this

evedy5ag.jpg

Sorry for all the questions, just daren't use it till I'm 100% lol

Right I'm convinced now. Just took the old blocking filter out and it's a shiny mirror finish on the side the goes towards the pentaprism. Need the vice again to break the glue that's holding the thread in the eye piece so it's a Monday job. I just hope they got the mini erf the right way!

Thanks for your help :)

No, but I'm going to do it this morning. Label both of yours so they don't get mixed up and compare them. I've never owned the old version so don't know what the differences are just by looking.

I doubt that the previous owner would have messed with the blocking filter assembly as there is no reason to, and I doubt that it was manufactured wrong, but not having an old and new one to look at, I cannot be 100% sure.

When I have had a look at mine I'll let you know whats in it.

And don't feel the need to appologise for asking so many questions. Solar observing can be a lovely pastime, but modding solar scopes can be dangerous if you get it wrong. Remember,....your eyes are at risk.

Ok David, I have taken mine apart and here are the pics. Maybe this will shed some light.

Top view looking down. Has a red colour.

9582749522_f48cf2f3c3_o.jpg

top view pst EP holder by allcart2, on Flickr

Bottom view of ep holder showing the mini erf. Looks like a mirror, but has a red tinge when looked through.

9579964727_9a12c42821_o.jpg

mini erf by allcart2, on Flickr

Taken apart and looking at the inside views.

9579964699_f3a78ecbf4_o.jpg

internal view by allcart2, on Flickr

Bottom of blocking filter.

9579964463_29cd90100c_o.jpg

pst blocker by allcart2, on Flickr

Inside view of mini erf.

9579964687_605aed75bd_o.jpg

inside view mini erf by allcart2, on Flickr

Thank you for the photos! Looks like it is the wrong way round then. How strange.. Good job it was used for a mod and a repair.

Going to be tough getting that thread out! May just use the old blocking filter from my original pst. The eye piece holder on the old pst is shorter too so will help with focus.

I knew something didn't ring true thanks ever so much for going to the trouble of striping it and posting the results :)

Just got confirmation that it was the wrong way so project complete :) thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge and helping me complete the pst. Should put me on till next year when I can do the stage 2 mod or double stack depending which way I go. Just need some sunny weather now :)

Cheers

David

Sorry for the multiple posts but here is a better photo, the mirror side with the glue and ring is facing where the eye piece goes and the darker side with the pen mark is facing the mini erf.

I have both models, this looks lit it has been swapped round, the gold face should point towards the black box

Here is a photo of mine.

post-13264-0-24743200-1377695098_thumb.j

I have both models, this looks lit it has been swapped round, the gold face should point towards the black box

Here is a photo of mine.

Thanks moriniboy. I have swapped it round and all seems to be working ok. The manufacture had got the holder the wrong way round. Thanks for confirming :)

Archived