Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to tell the difference between satellites flares & meteors?

Could someone describe the visual difference between satellites flares & meteors?

All of my confirmed satellite sightings the satellites appeared to look like moving dots(star like) they many change brightness or even colour but don't seem to streak but can they be see as streaks across the sky? I this is wear I get confused when I see streaks across the night sky I'm not sure if it satellites or meteors or possibly something else?

A satellite will just move steadily across the sky, most will be small and fairly dim. They tend to be long duration and amble steadily across the sky. Satellites will not be streaks as that is an indication of something entering the atmosphere and burning up

A meteor streaks for a second or two and will build in brightness until it dies normally suddenly owing to break up or burn up.

In the case of a recognised shower will appear to come from an area of the sky. As they are just grains falling into the atmosphere they will appear farly suddenly also so you may only have them as visible for 1 or 2 seconds usually.

A flaring satellite will be seen first as a normal dim satellite, then it wll increase in brightness then fade back down and continue across the sky as a normal dim satellite. The increase and dimming period often being 6-10 seconds duration. The flare is just a reflection of sunlight off of a panel on the satellite which just happens to be pointing at your position.

A satellite will just move steadily across the sky, most will be small and fairly dim. They tend to be long duration and amble steadily across the sky. Satellites will not be streaks as that is an indication of something entering the atmosphere and burning up

A meteor streaks for a second or two and will build in brightness until it dies normally suddenly owing to break up or burn up.

In the case of a recognised shower will appear to come from an area of the sky. As they are just grains falling into the atmosphere they will appear farly suddenly also so you may only have them as visible for 1 or 2 seconds usually.

A flaring satellite will be seen first as a normal dim satellite, then it wll increase in brightness then fade back down and continue across the sky as a normal dim satellite. The increase and dimming period often being 6-10 seconds duration. The flare is just a reflection of sunlight off of a panel on the satellite which just happens to be pointing at your position.

nice answer ronin

Archived