NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you use this as a finderscope?

You could, but...

You still have to sort out the fittings to your scope.

At x12 it is going to give a bit of a tight view. x8 is often used on SW etc finders.

For similar money you can buy a 'proper' finder from an astro retailer.

This will have known performance.

Hope this helps, David.

I need a good finder...something that I can count on. I never liked the traditional ones. I've got a telrad and 9x50 finder...

What don't you like about the Telrad and the 9x50's ?

It might help get suggestions that don't fall into the same traps for you, whatever they are :smiley:

Oh, sorry, I love the Telrad. This one settled. Even though I appreciate the straight through finderscope, I just can't get my head around it being upside down. I use 2 refractors and an SCT - all have corrected image orientation. I understand that straight through finders with corrected image orientation don't actually exist, which leave me with the option of a RACI...I find it tempting, but a bit concerned about practicalities. I mean, yes it'll save you from breaking your back, but at the same time it'll feel awkward pointing it to the right area in the sky, if you catch my drift.

I've heard so much about the Baader Sky Surfer, and Astro Baby did a review on it. Just wondering if it's worth it.

alternatively buy a cheap lightweight 70mm frac - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIPON-300-x-70-rich-field-refractor-telescope-15x-338x-magnification-/111065995138?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item19dc0c9782#ht_1446wt_904

with a 32mm ep modified with cross hairs, it would give x9 and 5deg FoV, weights 600gms and would probably look kinda cool on you C11...

yeah, its a cheap and nasty scope - but you aint looking for mega visuals if you are using it as a finderscope, and the extra aperture over a standard 50mm finder will be useful.

I find the trick with the Telrad is to look "past it", so to speak. With a bit of practice the screen part of the Telrad seems to disappear (it's actually out of focus) and you see the reticules projected against the sky as whole. Or at least thats my theory !

I use a RACI as well and have kind of got used to the image orientation but much of the time I find the Telrad / Rigel Quikfinder enough. The latter is similar to a Telrad but with 2 reticules rather than 3.

alternatively buy a cheap lightweight 70mm frac - http://www.ebay.co.u...2#ht_1446wt_904

with a 32mm ep modified with cross hairs, it would give x9 and 5deg FoV, weights 600gms and would probably look kinda cool on you C11...

yeah, its a cheap and nasty scope - but you aint looking for mega visuals if you are using it as a finderscope, and the extra aperture over a standard 50mm finder will be useful.

That is exactly what I did, but with a cheap Antares 25mm 70 deg. Same FOV but slightly smaller exit pupil, which I really like. The Antares 25mm 70 deg is easily modded with cross hairs.

After some recent posts extolling their virtues, I bought a SW 9x50 RACI to use on my Mak so I can keep the tripod legs set to the lowest level (right height for seat, more stability).

I must say, after three weeks I love it. Much easier to use with standard sky charts (I use Uranometria 2000 and SkyAtlas 2000, plus Stellarium) than my standard straight through finder.

Chris

What you see on the star chart is what you see in the RACI. My star hopping has improved no end since I made the switch. As long as there is s RDF or Telrad to get me on target of course!

Richard

I've got a RACI... haven't really figured it out yet, the correct image will take some getting used to as I have a dob, and I can't find a way to keep it permanently fixed to my Heritage. It's nice to occasionally use it as a Right Angled Monocular though :D.

I've got a RACI... haven't really figured it out yet, the correct image will take some getting used to as I have a dob, and I can't find a way to keep it permanently fixed to my Heritage. It's nice to occasionally use it as a Right Angled Monocular though :D.

In this case as Mr Spock says: it's only logical for me to get a RACI finder since I dont use reflectors :)

I have been eying the Teleskop Service 9x50 version...

You can also use something like the ST80 with a 45 deg erecting prism. This has you looking half straight through, so to speak. You get to see a lot of stars and the Messier list, from my site, was always directly visible.

Olly

Archived