Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

July 1, 2013 (19:00-20:15): Stunning prom on eastern limb

I finally got to see the sun today, so picked up the little solar scope and had a look at about 19:00. At 16.7x with the 24mm, a massive and complex prom could be seen northwards on the eastern limb. At first it looked like two massive mushroom clouds or windswept trees with bent stems, with another large detached cloud a touch southwards and further from the limb. As I hastily swapped the 24mm for the XW10, the clouds rushed in again so I packed the scope in. I caught a few glimpses between clouds, and noted a curious bulbous structure just south of the large prom which was much brighter than the surroundings, with a dark edge to it on the facing the centre of the disk.

At about 20:00 a large clear patch appeared, and I got to study the fireworks at ease. By now, the stem connecting the northernmost "tree" to the limb seemed to have vanished, and that part two seemed to be detached. The previously observed detached prom seemed to have floated a touch further from the surface, and some intricate wispy structure could be seen within it, especially at low magnification. The bright structure to he south was still there, but, although it looked like something about to erupt, nothing happened during the 15 minutes I got to see it. Further south still, a large prom was to be seen, one I must have missed earlier (due to the massive fireworks to the north). The western limb showed one or two small proms, and I could pick out several bright areas on the disk corresponding to ARs. Several darker filaments were also visible. I stood in awe until clouds drew the proceedings to a close.

The forecast for tomorrow is much better, so I hope I can follow these amazing events further.

Archived