NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

UNC & UNF thread

RT65CB-SWL

hello2.gif Hi all,

:help: I need to replace some bolts on my OTA's. (see below).

1. Meade ETX105 - thread 6-32 - replace the ones on the back (joins the plastic flipmirror/

visual back assembly to the main OTA).

2. Celestron C6/SCT - thread 8-32 - I am going to add a RDF finder as well as the 6x30 finder.

(the 'spare' or 'blanking' button cap bolts/screws supplied with the OTA are not long enough).

3. TeleVue Ranger - thread 10-32 - to mount the 'QwikPoint' block on the OTA. (the supplied

socket cap bolts/screws are not long enough either!)

None of these manufacturers has stated whether they use UNC or UNF thread! icon_scratch.gif and nothing

in the user guide/manual(s) that I can see or on the websites! :BangHead:

OK! I know is 'UNC' is 'coarse' & 'UNF' is 'fine' but that is about it. It is at that point where I am

confused as should I use 'UNC' or 'UNF' thread.iamwithstupid.gif

FWIW, the first number specifies the major diameter of the thread, but below 1/4" the diameters are specified by numbers rather than measured sizes. The second number is the number of threads per inch. For #6 and #8 diameter threads, 32 tpi is coarse. For #10 diameter threads, 32 tpi is fine.

James

Ordered socket cap & button head screws (as above) on Wednesday (3 July) from Westfield Fastners (www.westfieldfastners.co.uk) - delivered by snail mail (er! Royal Mail) on Friday (5 July) :icon_biggrin:

Archived