NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on new equipment

Hi Guys

I have been using the Star Analyser for the past year and thoroughly enjoying it. I have discovered so much using this little device!

I am now looking to upgrade my equipment to be able to do some science. In particular contributing to the BeSS database and radial velocity measurements.

I have also been doing photometry with the AAVSO for some time and would like to carry out some spectroscopy on these fainter objects. As you can tell I'm keen!

Currently my equipment is the Star Analyser, An 80 mm ED Scope and the QHY 5 mono camera. I was looking at a new 10" telescope in the first instance but I also like the new ALPY system and was wondering which way to go in the first instance.

I am not sure where to start and would greatly appreciate your advice as to where you should start in developing your observatory.

Many thanks for your time

Steve.

Hi Steve

I too use the excellent Star Analyser which is providing me with a good apprenticeship into spectroscopy. I suppose the purists among us would say `more aperture` is better and would therefore suggest going for the 10" but I recently went from a C8 sct to a 120mm triplet refractor and found much improved detail even though my scope diameter went from 203mm to 120mm.

I`m also very interested in the Alpy which seems to tick most of my boxes although I have my Star Analyser mounted in a usb filter wheel which is very convenient if I decide to do some imaging but using the Alpy would need the scope dedicating to spectro unless I unmount everything. The added resolution would make up for that I suppose :smiley:

Steve

Thanks for your reply. I had an email from the guys at First Light Optics who suggested that the 10 inch scope may be a bit much for my current setup and that instead I could use the existing scope with a CCD such as the Atik 314 L. Yet more choices! :) ah well I could think of worse decisions to be made. I looked again at the Alpy last night though and was thinking that I could use it on the 12 inch scope my local astronomy society has. I really like the look of that.

Best wishes

Steve.

Caution!

The ALPY is a transmission grating/grism lo-res spectroscope, not suited for BeSS submissions (or really RV stuff)

The LiresIII is a proven hi-res spectroscope, but this and the Baader DADOS (900 l/mm) come at a cost...

If you're prepared to hold fire for a couple of months, the Spectra-L200 Kit will become available. This has already submitted acceptable BeSS data.

It is designed as an intermediate cost effective slit spectroscope solution for those migrating "up the food chain" to their first serious slit spectroscope.

Check out the group for more details:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/astronomical_spectroscopy/

Hi

I am starting to get interested into the world of spectroscopy, but just don't know where to start in the sense of starting from the very beginning.

What would you say would be a first read on this subject covering all the basics?

Is the Star Analyser the best intro?

cheers

Matt

Matt,

I always recommend the grating as a great introduction to spectroscopy. It allows you to image a spectrum with basic equipment and to start on the processing and analysing of spectra.

My book(s) "Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and " Grating Spectroscopes - How to use them" as well as Robinson's " Spectroscopy: The key to the Stars" provide a great introduction.

Add J Kaler's "Stars and their spectra" and you're well on your way.....

Joining the largest Yahoo group available - astronomical_spectroscopy will also allow you to benefit from almost 600 similar amateurs keen to share their spectroscopy experiences.

Merlin

Many thanks for your reply.

I have just ordered the "Grating Spectroscopes - How to use them" from amazon, my favourite quote from the books description is "No heavy mathematics or formulas are involved" :grin:

Also I will add the yahoo group ASAP.

Once again thanks for your help.

Matt

Archived