NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher PL150 Reflector. Peripherals?

I've read around a lot, the Sky-Watcher PL150 seems like a good choice for my first telescope, it's within my budget at £274.95, it seems to be quite popular on these forums and has a lot of positive reviews around the web.

I recognize that the telescope isn't the only thing I'm going to need, I'm going to need collimating equipment (this is my first experience with a reflector telescope, I doubt I can collimate a telescope by eye) and (maybe?) other extras. What kind of extras should I be looking at? Which are best in terms of ease of use and expense?

Hi Nick

and welcome to SGL

i wouldn't worry too much about collimating the 150pl that often, (although you will need one). I've used mine for 5 months now, and only had to do it once. It is quite easy to do, as it has a dot on the primary mirror to aim for. So unless you will be knocking it around taking it places, it pretty much stays collimated. Very good scope for planets and lunar observations. Also, I recommend a 32mm eyepiece for viewing DSO'S

You wont be disappointed with your choice.

Happy skywatching

Which 150 are you looking at ?

I can see the 150 Dobsonian at £209, f/8 version, and 150P on an EQ3 at £289.

Just to say tht if it is the dobsonian mounted 150 then take a look at FLO.

The f/8 variant, 150PL, will be easier for eyepieces and they maintain collimation better.

Accessories: A collimator would be useful as you should need one at some time, although I read a post a few days back where someone made a collimating cap from Astro-Baby. The cap worked very well so maybe take a look at that as a first idea. Work on the basis that if it works and is easy then try it.

Eyepieces are the main thing. Skywatcher seem to be supplying fairly mediocre eyepieces, in my opinion I would look at slowly putting together 3 or 4 decent eyepieces. The f/8 150P lends itself to the BST Skyguider eyepieces (£47), the 8mm and the 12mm being good for high/medium power and the 25mm for low power and wider views. You could get the 5mm later for somewhat higher power but do not expect to use it every time.

Alternatives in a similar price bracket are the Vixen NPL plossl's (£35) and the Celestron X-Cels (£69). Sure there are others just not sure what. The TMB clones are often mentioned but (to me anyway) the BST's are the same cost and perform better.

Finders: That I leave to you, if the supplied one works well for you then stick to it, otherwise think carefully about what you want. You could end up buying each type of finder otherwise.

Nice sized scope and will do a good job, no need to rush in as the nights will remain too light for much observing for the next month or so.

Archived