Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anybody use a cat on a manual alt/az mount?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used a Skymax 127 on an AZ4 and that works quite well but if you have to carry it, it's a heavy lump. A friend has a C6 and it is comfortably better than the Skymax. I don't know about weight or use on an altaz, as he runs it on a CG5, but it is a very nice OTA.

I've never experienced any problems using cats on altaz mounts, even ones on up to eight inches and without the aid of slow motions at planetary friendly powers - though people vary in their ability/willingness to do this.

I've used many cats on the SW AZ4 which is very versatile. I even used a heavyish SW 180mm Mak on an AZ4 for testing purposes. (though it was only the once!) My personal prefernce is for fork altaz mounts when possible, they just seem that more stable and responsive when aiming them.

I have one of the large fork mounts sold by Skys the Limit which has just over 9 inches between the forks. This took the 180mm Mak very well, though I have bought this mount to use with my TSA-102 refractor. Certainly a 6inch SC should present no problem on either of these mounts.

Regards, Paul

Archived