Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CdC or C2A

malc-c

I've been using CdC for some tine now as the main control for scope positioning, but through browsing I came across another well established application, C2A which I've just installed on my home PC to see what it's like. I'm using EQAscom in simulator mode and was pleased to see that C2A supports the same slew to object and syncing much the same way as CDC.

I'm still getting to grips with all the options and additional tools that C2A has to offer, but wondered if other SGL members use this or prefer CDC

Hi Malcolm, I've been using CdC for some time, I've seen C2A but not used it, so I'll be watching this with interest.

Not had any real problems with CdC and its certainly easy to update. My only gripe would be re the finder rectangles and the fact you cant rotate them without going back to set-up and manually changing settings. I tend to use the rectangles (set-up for different camera/scope/lens combos) as framing guides. If C2A allows this then it would be worth trying.

My only gripe would be re the finder rectangles and the fact you cant rotate them without going back to set-up and manually changing settings. I tend to use the rectangles (set-up for different camera/scope/lens combos) as framing guides. If C2A allows this then it would be worth trying.

You can rotate them in CdC. If you have set up both a main camera and a guide camera FOV (e.g. if you are using an OAG arrangement), you can do the following:

1. Press Shift+S then use the left and right arrow keys on the keyboard to rotate both FOVs together - the FOVs changed from red to white whilst this is in operation. Pressing Shift+S again switches off the operation.

2. Pressing Shift+C will activate just the main camera FOV. Again rotate with the left and right arrow keys.

3. Similarly Shift+G will activate just the guide camera FOV - this is handy when planning an exposure when using an OAG that has a radial adjustment for the guide camera.

In the same boat as Francis, in that I've come across C2A but have stuck with CdC for a long while now: it does what I need it do very well and therefore have had no reason to consider alternatives.

Still, it would be interesting to know how they compare and if C2A has any compelling advantages over CdC.

You can rotate them in CdC. If you have set up both a main camera and a guide camera FOV (e.g. if you are using an OAG arrangement), you can do the following:

1. Press Shift+S then use the left and right arrow keys on the keyboard to rotate both FOVs together - the FOVs changed from red to white whilst this is in operation. Pressing Shift+S again switches off the operation.

2. Pressing Shift+C will activate just the main camera FOV. Again rotate with the left and right arrow keys.

3. Similarly Shift+G will activate just the guide camera FOV - this is handy when planning an exposure when using an OAG that has a radial adjustment for the guide camera.

Thanks Mike - hadn't realised that (lots to learn with CdC it appears!) - Sorry Malcolm for butting in there - Francis

Just tried above - great tip - thanks again

He Francis, no worries mate. This is all good stuff. I must admit I don't use CdC to it's full potential, mainly to select a target, slew the scope and let it run. I've attached two screen dumps of similar area and must admit I like the screen layout and default colouration used for constellation lines etc. What I do find interesting is the difference between how the two applications mark out the constellation of Pegasus...

post-10726-0-75369800-1371469506_thumb.p

Is there any internationally accepted standard for how the stars are supposed to be joined up in a constellation?

You can of course configure the fonts & colours to your heart's content in CdC, I guess C2A will have the same flexibility?

...and on a personal note this brings up my 1,000th post (raises his cricket bat to the applauding crowd). Only another 3,353 posts to catch up with you Malcolm...:smile:

Archived