Scilly Isles

dark star

Hi, we are thinking of going to the Scilly Isles on holiday for a few days in the last week of August. Possibly St. Agnes Island as this looks to have very dark skies, and my wife and daughter will hopefully enjoy the beach and sea!

I would like to take my Equinox 80ed refractor and photo tripod. However, we will be travelling by boat from Penzance, which would mean two boats including the one from St. Marys to St. Agnes. Luggage seems to be put in a 'container' in the hold. I do not fancy this for my telescope or photo tripod!

Has anyone done this trip? Would I be able to take my telescope on the boats as hand luggage in a not very big rucksack? The Equinox 80ed is not very long, as the dew shield retracts, and weighs 3.5kg, with eyepieces and some binoculars the weight altogether would be maybe 5-6kg, not including the photo tripod. As we will be travelling by train I do not wish to take the case for the telescope as it will add to the weight.

I have already walked around a mile with the above on my back in the Dengie Peninsula in Essex to take some bird pictures (not very good ones!). I could walk 2-3 miles without too much effort, so hopefully would be able to finally see, for example, M51, also some low lying Messiers I can't see from home. If it isn't cloudy of course!

I am just worried about the boat trips. I could just take my 20x60 and 15x70 binoculars instead but obviously will see more with the 80ed.

David

Hiya

You will be OK for hand luggage, as within reason no restrictions but if you take it in a hard case it will go in the hold.

Done the trip several time, not for astro but camping etc

Have fun

I've been to Tresco by boat (Scillonian, if it's still in service), can be quite a rough passage at times. Sky is very dark but can be quite windy, lovely islands to visit for whatever reason. :smiley:

The Scillonian is still going, just had a 2 million pound refit and looking good.

Archived