Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NIKON D3100

Aenima

Hi,

A recent opportunity in the form of a camera on credit has allowed me to add a NIKON D3100 to my collection alongside an old but trusty Canon 300D.

I was hesitant to mod my 300D due to its age and also the thought of losing the ability to take normal daylight pictures, and this is mostly why I was advised against getting it done. I prioritised Astro as my main purpose and got it modded anyway.

So now I had a chance to acquire a D3100 which unmodded can replace my 'normal' camera while also - and this is the bit i'm unsure of - be used on my telescope.

I know the Nikons have less software support, but software aside how will it compare to my 300D -or any DSLR- when used on my newtonian?

I hear it has live view, but what about noise, quality, sensor size etc.?

Can anyone supply their views or experiences with this model dslr?

Many thanks for any input,

Regards

Aenima

I have used a Nikon D40 and D5100 (essentially the same as the 3100 I believe) pretty successfully (in my opinion) with my 200p.

There is control software for it and I have used it a little, http://digicamcontrol.com/ and it was known as NCC (nikon camera control) for a while but I believe they had to change the name. I found the old version labelled NCC better to be honest as I seemed to keep bumping into glitches with the newer version but I have not used it in a while and it has probably been updated and smoothed out.

As for a comparison with the cannon stuff I cannot comment, I had the D40 before I had a scope and stuck with Nikon when I upgraded due to all my accessories being for a Nikon.

All I can say is I am very happy with the pictures I have been getting, they maybe aint up to what some folk here can produce but as a beginner it does everything I need it to, if there was more control software out there im sure a lot more folk would use Nikon's as their weapon of choice.

Im sure someone can give you a more technical run-down on it but just thought I would share my opinion.

One of my first pics with it....

post-24331-0-14777500-1370722194_thumb.j

Thanks, nice image btw.

Yeah the software has always been an issue with nikon but i'm quite happy with a remote shutter cable.

Im interested in whether live view might help with focusing and how the sensor performs in astro imaging - it also comes with a kit lens which might or might not be any good. :)

Thanks for the input :)

#

Regards

Aenima

You can get the small official Nikon IR remote control for it, think it cost me about 20 quid off amazon, worth every penny!

Yes the live view is a lifesaver for focusing, I usually go to a bright star, put on the bahtinov mask, zoom in on the live view to make the cross fill the screen, then you can lock the focus knowing it is bang on, then back to whatever the target is, but even just using the screen and doing it visually is ok, just zoom in as your focusing so you see a good sized image on the screen.

Hope that helps some.

Any other users of the camera out there? I know its still quite an entry level model, and not the most popular camera ever but compared to the 300D it might not be such a poor performer....??

Regards

Aenima

i use mine on the skywatcher 130,but it has issues with getting focus

but use it with a barlow and it is ok,new to this myself and still learning,but i think its a very good camera (although mine has a prob and is away being sorted)

also

Helite

You can get the small official Nikon IR remote control for it, think it cost me about 20 quid off amazon, worth every penny!

not for the 3100 you cant,it doesn't have support for it

you can buy a shutter release cable for it seach amazon for nikon shutter cable,it plugs into the gps socket and works when in bulb mode

I have just downloaded and tested the software http://digicamcontrol.com/download on my D7000 and so far I am quite impressed with it. you can change most settings and live view through the screen easily and also manual focus at the same time! good stuff as I was beginning to think I would not be able to use my Nikon very easily. Unfortunately looking at the compatibility list the D3100 does not have live view or bulb mode so I think you may have to look else where :(

just notice bulb is not supported on my D7000 either doh!

Its a shame as the d3100 has both bulb and live view - just not with the software support.

I took a few pictures of my - darling - cat yesterday, quite pleased with the camera image quality - the nef/raw files are 12mg compared with 6.5mg of the canon 300D.

Thanks for the update anyhow, :)

Regards

Aenima

Archived