Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

done something stupid now I need help

rowan46

I have read in many places that the takahashi polar scope for the em 200 is one of the best ever made so I bought one for a pretty reasonable price. Now how am I going to attach it to an eq1?

The body of the eq1 is hollow, so I thought that maybe if I attached a shaped plate on the back using a star fangled nut and raised the hole for the finder about a centimeter above the ra gear that that might work?

You could actually get away without drift-aligning using a plate-solving system. A couple of SGL users have done that with cameras on EQ1 mounts.

However, because Polaris is not at the NCP but circumpolar it is necessary for the polar scope to rotate with the RA axis to get the correct time and date on the setting circles and the correct position for Polaris relative to the NCP on the polar scope reticle. That's going to be pig-awkward to do. Should you decide that it isn't necessary to be that accurate and that you can treat Polaris as if it were coincident with the NCP then the RDF solution is probably far easier and achieves the same goal.

But really, drift-aligning isn't that hard if you find a clear explanation of how to do it. Not unless you're planning on mounting a C14 on your EQ1, anyhow.

James

It has to be correctly aligned relative to the time and date rings on the mount though. And to rotate as the RA axis rotates. Otherwise it's no better than the RDF.

James

In fact I've just been and had a look at my EQ1 and it doesn't even have a date ring, so can't see that you can get any any better than the RDF solution at all.

James

If it is then I can't see anything I recognise as such in the pictures for that auction. But, get to it, and post pictures when you're done. You'll need some method to make sure that the axis of rotation of the polar scope is parallel with the RA axis too, so I think one bracket is unlikely to work. You'll probably need something like a finder mounting to allow the axis to be aligned.

James

2 reasons I want a go at wide field imaging but if I get a better polar alignment I can use a longer focal length and 2 I am on tramadol at the moment and may not be entirely rational

2 reasons I want a go at wide field imaging but if I get a better polar alignment I can use a longer focal length and 2 I am on tramadol at the moment and may not be entirely rational

ok -- fair enough. I expect members on here can deal with the first but the second might be a bit more challenging.

• 4 weeks later...

I have come up with an idea that looks to be simi;ar to the astrotrac polar finder holder is there a place that does small commissions for machining at reasonable (cheap would be better) rates

post-4536-0-67366300-1372970427_thumb.jp

The polar scope would be attached to the top hole by a threaded collar.

The bottom hole would attach to the eq1 body by bolt and star lug similar to the handlebar headset on a bicycle. As long as the thingummy is flat it should be orthagonal to the main gem body (excuse the drawing I am not good at using drawing programmes)

Archived