Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMod Direct pc connection EQ6 Pro

Layor

Hi All,

Can someone clarify a topic for me please.

I have an EQ6 Pro mount, I'm trying to connect the computer to the mount. I've looked at the posts on the 'DIY Astronomer' - USB EQDir for under £4'. I've gone to the link for the EQ6 and had a look at the diagram, and I've also seen the comments between 'malc-c' and 'mindburner'.

From what they have said it looks as if you can just connect the TTL232R to the 'D-type' plug with the connections shown and then plug the 'D' plug into the mount and the USB into the computer port and away you go. But, in the link diagram there is a 12v supply connected to pins 1 and 8 on the EQ6 'D' socket.

I'm obviously not seeing something or I'm reading more into it!

So which is right?

I've also seen the HitecAstro EQDIR adapter, from First Light Optics, but at £27 it's a bit pricey for something I can make myself.

I have got a TTL232R USB cable and a spare 'D' plug which I've connected up as per the diagram that malc-c and mindburner discussed but with no luck. EQMod 'toolbox' tries to connect but just 'times out'. I've tried other com ports but none other can be found by the program.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers, Colin.

Hi Colin

Is you cable a 5V or 3.3 version of the TTL232R? Only the 5V version will work without some extra circuitry to provide the necessary level shift.

Only three connections to the D-type required, yes there is 12V coming out of the mount (it normally powers the handset) so make sure you don't short to pins 1 or 8. Full details of the connections required for EQDIRECT-232, EQDIRECT-USB and EQDIRECT-BT are on the EQMOD Project website.

Make sure the port that is being allocated to your cable is COM16 or lower - change if necessary via the device manager.

Chris.

Googling the Prolific PL2303 datasheet the device uses 3.3v TTL levels on the serial side. As Chris mentioned you need the 5V levels which the other cable should provide given the part reference number

Hi Malc,

Okay, I've just run a test on both cables. The PL2303 is as follows:

with respect to earth (black) Green = 3.87v White = 3.84v Red = 5.06v. Which led me to believe that it was a 5v package.

However, same check on TTL232R as follows:

with respect to earth (black) Brown = 5.01 Yellow = 5.01 Red = 5.06 Orange = 5.06 Green = 5.06

I would have expected one of the wires on the 232R to have been at 5v and the others held low until a signal was applied. But to have them all at above 5v seems as if there is a problem!!

Of course, I might be barking up the wrong tree, anyone???

Colin.

I've made up another cable using the TTL232R and connected the wires as per the diagram. Orange to pin 6 on 'D', Yellow to pin 6 on 'D' and black to pins 4&5.

The windows device manager is reporting that the cable is connected to COM3.

If I go into EQMOD toolbox and try to connect all I keep getting is 'timeout'. Otther ports I have tried come up with 'port not available'.

Colin

• Like 1

The TTLR232R appears to be 5v serial levels where the other is 3.3 level. I'm a little confused as you have both RX and TX (Im assuming the orange wire and yellow wire) are connected to the same pin on the D connector when one of them (RX) should be on pin 9

of the D connector

ta5y5ege.jpg

just to confirm, mine is

Orange - 6

Yellow - 9

Black - 4 and 5

I made a little junction box and works perfectly.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by ncjunk

Yes, thats right. I even tried it in reverse, orange - 9 and yellow - 6 just in case. But I'm still getting a 'timeout' window.

As a matter of interest, when I try and 'register' in toolbox I get three little windows on top of each other which I have to cancel. the first gives an error report, the second gives an error report and the last one, which is underneath the others, says 'success'. I'm presuming that the' success one comes up first then the other two on top.

I have also tried to connect my CPC800 which is working okay with the Nexremote on the computer using COM3, but I either get the 'timeout' error or no COM port available with EQMOD.

I'm going to try and take out all of the USB ports and put them back one at a time.

Colin

It was just to take the pressure off the ftdi cable. That way its the db9 cable thats more likely to fail which is easy to replace.

I could double check voltage levels and drivers if it helps.

P.S.

I have an old drive with xp on it. I might just try that in there and see if I can get it to work. It will mean a bit of fiddling to get it to work, but it might be worth it.

You could be right, Gina. But it still might not solve the problem of the ports not being available. If something is amis with either the way I have things set up or the program configeration, then the EQDIR will not come into the equation.

I know the cable I have made up is okay, and I am using the TTL232R, the only concern I have is that because of the length of lead and the voltage drop that could be part of the problem. I measured the voltage at the mount plug (RS232) end and got 4.56v, that should be enough to trigger the Tx and RX. However, just to be sure I'm going to make a 'booster' to get 5v at the plug. If that doesn't solve it then it has to be the software.

But thanks to all for all the suggestions and help, keep them coming :grin: It is really appreciated knowing that, out here in the middle of nowhere, that I can turn to the forum for answers to obscure questions :icon_salut:

Many thanks, Colin.

With all the problems you are having it might be easier to just buy an EQDIR from FLO :D

It normally is really easy this mod as its just a straight connection through.

So it would be worth finding out where the problem is just in case its the pc end.

I'll hook mine up and check it in a couple of hours as thats when i get home from work, 40 minutes kid free for a quick test.

I agree nc, the cable is no problem as far as making one up. If your voltages, measured at the RS232 plug are near or similar to what I have got then that will eliminate that part of the problem I have.

Many thanks,

Coin

Hi

I bought the following USB To RS232 TTL PL2303HX from Ebay for £1 each (Bought 3 just in case) but had to pop a little circuit in to get the correct voltages.

RX to TX on mount and TX to RX via 2 resistors and a 2N2222. Would not work without it?

post-11519-0-36388800-1370604206_thumb.j

Hope that helps

Cheers

Jamie

PS thats run through 5M of USB to the mount

Edited by JKB

Cheers, Jamie.

I've fitted a 'booster' to the line now and am getting 5v on one pin and 5.7 on the other, so as far as that goes everything should be okay. I'm about to test it, so will let you know in a short while.

Colin

Watching this thread with interest, i have a EQDir (sourced for FLO) and seem to have the same problems, get 3 text boxes when i register 2 are error and 1 say success, it finds the Com Port but won't connect, i also have a GPS that works via it software but EQMod see's the Com Port but won't collect any Data when i click on the required box.....Running Window 7....64 bit

Edited by Tinker1947